What's for dinner

Professur

So I looked into buying a trailer... there are some nice ones here for $50,000-$70,000 but the cheapest space rent at any park in the area is $440, so tack that on to the mortgage (and financing on trailers sucks) and I can't afford that either.

Fuck me, I'm paying under $180 a month rental, and my monthly financing was $330 for 5 years. $78K would have bought me a brand spanking new unit (not a trailer, but more of a one piece prefab) back when I was looking.

Inkara1

Yeah, I could get a brand-new, built in 2007, never been lived in 3-bedroom 2-bath for $62,000... with the $440 space rent. If I could find it for $180 I'd be living in a trailer right now.

2minkey

bootlicker
dinner a couple nights ago.

both constructed out of layers of square pasta, l'uovo or something like that. not something i usually use.

first one is "cool" - layers of mascarpone cheese, basil, italian parsley, toasted pine nuts, roasted/mellowed garlic, heirloom tomato, and of course, more basil and microplaned parmigiano reggiano on top.

second one is "hot" - layers of mascarpone, garlic, and a (roma) tomato-based sauce containing a whole bunch of salumi (salami and pepperoni, from mario batali's father's shop) and fresh oregano. topped, again, with a parmigiano fuzz, baked, then some more fresh oregano.

luovo1.jpg

luovo2.jpg

tonksy

That looks nice, Minkey.

Tonight is foil packet catfish on a bed of spinach with fresh tomato and garlic on top. It'll be served with baby carrots boiled in chicken broth and OJ. Plus, sauteed yellow squash. In lieu of the yellow squash Rob will have broccilli and potato and Mal will have corn on the cob.

2minkey

bootlicker
Tonight is foil packet catfish on a bed of spinach with fresh tomato and garlic on top. It'll be served with baby carrots boiled in chicken broth and OJ. Plus, sauteed yellow squash. In lieu of the yellow squash Rob will have broccilli and potato and Mal will have corn on the cob.

y'all on some kinda health kick? sounds very low fat.

tonksy

Nah, we just had a mess of veggies in the fridge and no one could agree on what they wanted. We are trying to be healthier though.

tonksy

I had a failure for dinner tonight...sorta.
I wanted to make stuffed cabbage rolls and the result of a recipe pulled off the internet was disappointing. The flavor of the filling and sauce was good but the cabbage leaves were too tough.
I have found another recipe that calls for a different technique in pre-cooking the leaves that I believe will be more to my liking for next time.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Stuffed cabbage rolls being cabbage leaves wrapped around a ground meat and veggie concoction and then cooked in a sauce I assume? If so my mom has a recipe ya'll might like.

tonksy

That's it! I need to work on my technique. I would love to read her recipe. The one I tried had no real veggies beyond the cabbage leaves, an onion, and the tomatoes in the sauce.
I liked the sauce from this recipe as it had a sweet hint...only changes I'll make to it is to puree the sauce before I pour it over the leaves and I think I will also cook it in the crockpot.
I would like to add a bit more veggies to the filling. What does she use? Carrots?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't typically eat them (I used to think I wouldn't like them and since I've broaded my food horizons I haven't lived home) but I'll call her this afternoon and ask for the recipe. Everyone says they're "the best cabbage rolls"

tonksy

Sweet! I eat cabbage rolls almost everytime I go to Goldberg's Deli and want to master them at home.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I was out at a football game and got home later than I planned. She is sleeping by now I'm sure (being in Ont while I'm in AB) so tomorrow I shall call and ask :)

A.B.Normal

I had a failure for dinner tonight...sorta.
I wanted to make stuffed cabbage rolls and the result of a recipe pulled off the internet was disappointing. The flavor of the filling and sauce was good but the cabbage leaves were too tough.
I have found another recipe that calls for a different technique in pre-cooking the leaves that I believe will be more to my liking for next time.

Do a google search for Holupchi (Ukranian cabbage rolls) my aunt used to make them with a sour (pickled) cabbage.

:hairbang:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Cabbage Rolls

1-1/2 cups of cooked rice or minute rice
2 eggs, beaten
1 chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 pounds of ground beef or chicken
2 thin slices of bread grated (or 1 cup of pre-grated bread crumbs)

Mix all above together
Boil cabbage leaves for 10min
Form meat mixture into rolls and roll in cabbage leaves
Put completed rolls in roasting pan
Mix tomato soup (2 cans of soup to 1.5 cans of water) and pour over top
Bake for about 1 hour at 300F

It's not "from scratch" in all senses so you might prefer to combine the sauce and filling that you've already tried with the technique for pre-cooking the cabbage leaves

JTP

Smoked oysters and scrambled eggs on toast... hungry and impatient. Oh, yeah- topped with smoked gouda and a light smear of horseradish.

Chased with a bottle of Red Truck 2006