What's this noise called?

tonksy

You know when you are finished downloading something and it makes that noise telling you it's done? My puter has a default noise that grates on my nerves and I want to change it but I don't know what that is called. I figured it would be called "download complete" or something similar in the windows sounds and multimedia area of my control panel. Here is a list of things that sounds are attached to that I do not know what they are and I figure the download sound is one of them:
Asterisk
critical stop
Default beep
Exclamation
Question
Which one is it?

greenfreak

You should be able to play them from the Sounds applet in the Control Panel, no? There should be a play button there too if you click on Exclamation.

I change mine too, some of them I'm not all that fond of.

Whenever I would get a new email, I had a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when Patsy catches an arrow in the chest, "Mmmmessage for you sir!"

tonksy

Professur said:
Should be Exclamation.

But I can't see that being that irritating. It's just a PING!
Try hearing it 30 times a day.
*shudder

GF? It seems like many things are set to that default ping. I just want to change the one.

tonksy

Professur said:
What on earth are you doing that you're completing 30 downloads a day?
Work. Rob takes the piccy's and emails them to me. I save them in a folder so that I can upload them to ebay when I do the listings. 30 a day is a very heavy day but I really hate "the fuck you noise".
I changed it to a Star Trek sound byte.

greenfreak

It's chord.wav, attached to the Windows "Asterisk" event in the Sounds & Multimedia section of the Control Panel.

I just downloaded something from my gmail, chose "none" for the "Asterisk" event and the sound stopped.

Is that it?

greenfreak

You are very welcome! The bad news is that chord.wav is attached to a bunch of other system sounds too. But if you just click on each one in the list with the speaker icon, you should be able to change all of them if you want. :)