What's up with Canada?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Are you folks that anti-US? Perhaps you've forgotten that the reason Canada has had a rather peaceful existence for the past 100 years is because the US is directly south...giving you the convenience of having a small military, and a 'liberal' government...:hmm:

unclehobart

In a recent poll, 40 percent of Canadian teens said the United States is a force for evil in the world

Teens are a silly lot. Adults know better... mostly. Half of our own kids probably feel the same way. Its a rite of passage for youth to bite the hand that feeds it.

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:
In a recent poll, 40 percent of Canadian teens said the United States is a force for evil in the world

Teens are a silly lot. Adults know better... mostly. Half of our own kids probably feel the same way. Its a rite of passage for youth to bite the hand that feeds it.

from the source
But former Canadian diplomat Martin Collacot (search) says the teens are responding to cues from their government, the media and their teachers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Would you prefer the force of evil steps aside? Maybe Canda can become the worlds watchdog.

Thulsa Doom

I dont know last time I checked theres was bigger then ours. Much bigger. Its just most of theres is covered with snow.

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
not so much anti-US as anti force of evil :shrug:

:rofl: Good try, Leslie, but there's more to it than that. If it's evil to stand up, and confront those who ridicule and despise you, then I guess you can say that we're evil. If it's evil to take a fight outside of your country and into the countries that started the fight, then, yes, we're evil. If it's evil to fight instead of give in to bullies, then, yes, we're evil, but if you have any doubts about what I just wrote, then, perhaps, it's your complacency, and not our evil. ;)

A.B.Normal

Well last time I heard a group of teens talk ,everything they didn't like was "gay" ,their definition of "evil" may have less to do with your defintion of "evil" than you are being led to believe.

Gato_Solo

A.B.Normal said:
Well last time I heard a group of teens talk ,everything they didn't like was "gay" ,their definition of "evil" may have less to do with your defintion of "evil" than you are being led to believe.

Ummm...I got that quote from Leslie... ;) She doesn't like the US government...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
:rofl: Good try, Leslie, but there's more to it than that. If it's evil to stand up, and confront those who ridicule and despise you, then I guess you can say that we're evil. If it's evil to take a fight outside of your country and into the countries that started the fight, then, yes, we're evil. If it's evil to fight instead of give in to bullies, then, yes, we're evil, but if you have any doubts about what I just wrote, then, perhaps, it's your complacency, and not our evil. ;)
um...that'd all be well and good if that was actually what was going on :p

AlladinSane

ResearchMonkey said:
Canada is just suffering from penis envey.
You know what they say about sex and power huh?
If you're not good at one, you have to ensure the other make for it...

MrBishop

French-Canadians (search) were even harsher, with 64 percent of them calling America a force for evil.

Seems that us Quebequois are even more disenfranchized with the USA...then again, we're also disenfranchized with the rest of Canada.

with 50 percent saying it’s a force for good

Half of the rest of Canada like ya though :) Which is more than you can say for your own country-mates.

The President’s approval rating has dropped to a new low of 41 percent, and more than six in ten say the country is heading in the wrong direction.
Source

Don't worry Gato. We havn't forgotten about our big brother down south...but siblings have the right to squabble sometimes.

Canadians' Views On Future Canada-US Relations
© Ipsos

Public Release Date: March 31, 2004

Toronto, ON – According to a new Ipsos-Reid survey conducted on behalf of the Council of Canadians and the Polaris Institute, when told that “the Federal Government wishes to repair the relationship between Canada and the US that has been hurt by differences of opinion on measures to deal with terrorism and the War in Iraq,” a vast majority of Canadians (91%) agree with the statement.

84% Of Canadians Think That The U. S. Bears Some (69%) Or All (15%) Responsibility For Terrorist Attacks On Them Because Of Its Policies, Actions In Middle East, Other Parts Of World
© Ipsos

Public Release Date: September 6, 2002

Toronto, ONTARIO – A new Ipsos-Reid/CTV/Globe and Mail poll released tonight indicates that 84% of Canadians believe that the United States, because of its policies and actions in the Middle East and other parts of the world, bears some of the responsibility (69%) or all of the responsibility (15%) for the terrorist attacks on them. Fourteen percent (14%) believe that the United States bears none of the responsibility for the terrorist attacks on them.

A Majority (55%) Believe Terrorists are in Canada and Waiting to Attack Civilians And Are Not Confident that Government and Security Forces Capable of Preventing Terrorist Attacks

© Ipsos

Public Release Date: September 9, 2002

Toronto, ONTARIO – According to the latest Ipsos-Reid/CTV/Globe and Mail poll released tonight, a majority (55%) remain of the belief that there are international terrorist in Canada, waiting to attack Canadian civilians. This level is unchanged from that recorded when the exact question was asked the week following the September 11th attacks. Forty-three percent (unchanged) disagree with this viewpoint.

Since Canada doesn't particularly like the U.S.---who will you ask to defend you when you get attacked by terrorists?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It's just more of the same bullshit we get from most countries. I don't know why we're surprised that Canada is one of them. They belittle us, call us an evil empire, say we're trying to control the world and act as policemen for the UN. Yet when the Foreign Aid checks go out, they're right in line. When they get attacked, they're calling us up, cause we're their good old buddies. When their military needs training or they need some new guns, they're begging us for help.

I'm really quite surprised that we are surprised about it.

MrBishop

Even the biggest dog hater in the world understands that it's nice to have a Pitbull around when someone breaks into your home :D j/k

MrBishop

PuterTutor said:
When their military needs training or they need some new guns, they're begging us for help.

It's a quid pro quo process, PT. There are as many, if not more, American soldiers begging for training in Canada than there are Canadian troops in the USA begging for the same. Frankly...the term 'begging' is demeaning and part and parcel of why some Canadians just don't like the USA's ego trip.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
MrBishop said:
It's a quid pro quo process, PT. There are as many, if not more, American soldiers begging for training in Canada than there are Canadian troops in the USA begging for the same. Frankly...the term 'begging' is demeaning and part and parcel of why some Canadians just don't like the USA's ego trip.
Small difference there. We want the snowy terrain to train in. You guys want the guns, tanks, planes, etc....

Although you surely do make a point, our arrogance is certainly part of the problem.

MrBishop

PuterTutor said:
Small difference there. We want the snowy terrain to train in. You guys want the guns, tanks, planes, etc....

I remember a story that my bro-in-law told me about winter training for American troops. One group was from Ft.Worth, TX. They had the basic preconceptions about Canada, so...the troops in Petawawa built 40 igloos on the parade grounds , then once the trucks arrived from the airport with the Texan troopers... they were dropped off on the edge of the grounds and told to set up in their new barracks. The first one out landed in about 4' of snow and went in chest deep. The second guy refused to even step out from the back of the truck. :)

It's not the terrain...it's the know-how for winter fighting, cammo and survival.

We like your guns better :)

Gato_Solo

PuterTutor said:
Although you surely do make a point, our arrogance is certainly part of the problem.

Now that is a statement that I think is way off base, and I'll tell you why.

When you go to foreign countries, including Canada, you always hear that term bandied about like it's fact, but the people spewing that rhetoric have to remember one thing...Their existence as free countries was bought, and paid for, by the blood of US soldiers. The peace they take for granted is there because the US was, and is, there to protect them. It's not arrogance to expect some thanks from time to time, but it is arrogant to believe that no thanks are neccesary. It's not arrogance to offer help when it's needed, but it is arrogance to accept that help, and then deny the helpers so much as one iota of respect. The countries that have never accepted US aid and comfort are the only ones who can possibly say that we are arrogant, and those places are very few indeed. Next time you go out into your world, look around and think about how much the US has accomplished in our short time of existence, and ask yourself where your country would be if we didn't exist. Ask yourself where your lifestyle would be, and how much freedom you'd actually have if we didn't exist, and then say who is arrogant. It's not us, PT.