What's yer speed?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've got 1.5 mb DSL now, paying out the ass for it, about 90 a month, but its the only high speed available in the area.

Inkara1

Egads! I'm paying $77 for 6-meg DSL, and that also includes local and long-distance phope service, private number blocking, etc.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Besides, how much speed do you need for 10 people?

More than that.
You know, I can actually see New York. Baltimore too. I'm jealous, but I can see it. But Fort Wayne f@cking Indy-f@cking-ana?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I must confess. Our idiot liberal Demoncrat mayor got off his ass & worked for this. It helps that Verizon has a large office complex here.

Inkara1

Let that be a lesson to all considering satellite service.

That ping is exactly why I'd never get satellite unless I lived in the middle of nowhere. Not a very impressive transfer speed either... I thought satellite was better than that. As it is, I have satellite TV and DSL internet.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
That ping is exactly why I'd never get satellite unless I lived in the middle of nowhere.

Which he d...HEY! :p

Given the choice between a bit slower internet and all the noise/pollution/grime/bother of living urban, I'll wait for y'all's posts to load TYVM.

chcr

Too cute for words
More than that.

I must confess. Our idiot liberal Demoncrat mayor got off his ass & worked for this. It helps that Verizon has a large office complex here.

So do we. As I understand it this is the main call center for the southeast. :shrug: Darned conservatives. ;)

Inkara1

Which he d...HEY! :p

Given the choice between a bit slower internet and all the noise/pollution/grime/bother of living urban, I'll wait for y'all's posts to load TYVM.

I thought you said you wanted cable but the wife insisted on satellite. If cable is available at your house, you're not that far into the middle of nowhere. :p

Inkara1

I just tested again with the same server (different time of the day) and got this:

Just for shits and giggles, I thought I'd try a few other servers...

I think the lesson here is obvious... all non-FIOS people should use the Vancouver server for testing. FIOS people should use Johannesburg. People at Huge's work can bugger off. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I got pretty much the same results on Vancouver as I did on Calgary...maybe everyone should test on the Calgary server...because Calgary rocks.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I thought you said you wanted cable but the wife insisted on satellite. If cable is available at your house, you're not that far into the middle of nowhere. :p

They call it grant money probably. I know we were one of maybe half a dozen households, and the first, on the cable internet hub. High speed internet just ain't the priority ou'chere that it is to the townies. I dare say less than 20% of the folks ou'chere even have internet, and most would be dialup. Who knows how cable companies operate? For all I know they had to make X number of households "available" to get some financial incentive for the real people, who live in town.

Eh, beats the shit out of AOL anyway.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Johannesburg from here

232543024.png