• House

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Apartment

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other....(please specify)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

AlphaTroll

I was just wondering, after Prof's remark about the comfort of trailers, what kind of abode do most of you have? Do ou like it? Is the upkeep expensive? Where would you really want to live...and in what?

alex

I don't wear hats but....three bedroom ranch house, 1550 sq. ft., double car garage, 2 full baths (and yes, they both have doors) on 1/4 acre lot.

Trailers? Wouldn't buy one. They depreciate faster than a vehicle. Not a wise investment....IMHO.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
At the moment, none.

House burned down. Replacing with doublewide mobile home on permanent foundation. Over 2000 square feet, 3 bedroom, living room, den, dining room being converted into music room, small computer room, 2 full baths.

I live precisely where I want to be. It'll take the hounds of Hell to get me out of here. Though I wouldn't mind it if I still had the house...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
3 bedroom, 2 story "Mini-Victorian". With the original stained glass even. Most of the summer hats are on the deacon's bench in the porch. The winter hats are in a little cupboard by the front door. Only a couple are hanging, those are on the coat rack.

Not too expensive, nice-ish area, local to everything. I'm happy right here.

Starya

Small apartment in a student home. Not too pricy, good standards, free Internet and electricity is included in the rent. Sucks that I need to find me something else this summer. :mope:

MrBishop

9 1/2 semi-detatched bungalo. 3 bedrooms upstairs, big dining room, living room, laundry room/library, work room, spare bedroom downstairs and 1 1/2 baths. I have quiet neighbours and I'm close to 3 parks and a pool. Can't complain much, thogh it's 30 years old and starting to need renovations...like a side porch f'r instance.

I love my back yard...plenty of room for my gardens and flower-beds and for the kids to play around in. Best part...almost zero traffic on my street. The only people who drive on it, live on it and they drive like they know that kids are constantly playing on it.

Uki Chick

Two story house, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, living room, kitchen, dining area, basement with seperate laundry room, pool, etc. Not too expensive to upkeep, lots of renovations being done this year and next. Great area, quiet, close to everything. No hats around.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Oh yeah...the hats...

My most frequently worn Confederate battle flag cap is most often hung on the bedpost. The other caps are currently stacked in the top of the closet until we get moved, at which time God above only knows where they'll be.

FluerVanderloo

My mom just bought a new place for us to live. 4 bedroom 3 bath split level home about 2 seconds from the water. It's beautiful.

rrfield

4 bedroom, 2 bath, 1700 sq. ft. Cape Cod style house on 1/4 acre lot. I'd like a bigger lot, but the location is perfect for now. Probably be in this place for 5 more years I'm guessing.

chcr

Too cute for words
4 BR Ranch, 2800 sq ft (plus two car garage), 18X36 pool with a small building (changing room, picnic area, storage and pump gear), small horse barn in very bad repair all on 2.2 acres. I like it fine. I wish I had the time and money to fix it all up the way it should be. Oh, and I hang my hat on a hook on the back of the kitchen door. ;)

Dave

front to rear split 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath and a large sun room. 1700 square feet on .7 acres.
living on a main road is taking a bit of getting used to after living on a cul-de-sac for 10 years but thats ok. all the major stuff in the house is no more than 10 years old, so we're hoping they last awhile.
now if i could only get someone down here to fix the damn sunroom....

Dave

had a leak in the roof. got the roof repaired. now waiting for the insurance check and trying to find someone to redo the ceiling and carpet.

HomeLAN

Used to be a 4 BR 3 bath, now a 3/3 - the master BR is now massive. About 1,700 sq. feet, at a guess. Got about 10.5 years left on the note, and I hope to still be here when it's paid off. Neighborhood has gone from the 150's to the 250's in the last 8 years, so it's been a good investment as well as home. Sits on 1/3 of an acre.

The only worry is that my 'hood is an older set of homes, built around 1970. They were surrounded by farmland at the time. The farmers have been getting old and dying on me, and their heirs are selling out the land. It's being developed into mini-subdivisions of 400-500,000 houses. Meanwhile, from the other direction, apartments and cheap townhouses move closer.

This neighborhood will either be bought up and converted to very expensive housing (good for me), or go rental (bad for me). I figure we've got 5-7 years before I know which way it's going to fall. If it goes rental, I'll have to get out.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I picked apartment, I live in a basement apartment technically...but even though it's in a house it's not like living in a house...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Used to be a 4 BR 3 bath, now a 3/3 - the master BR is now massive. About 1,700 sq. feet, at a guess. Got about 10.5 years left on the note, and I hope to still be here when it's paid off. Neighborhood has gone from the 150's to the 250's in the last 8 years, so it's been a good investment as well as home. Sits on 1/3 of an acre.

The only worry is that my 'hood is an older set of homes, built around 1970. They were surrounded by farmland at the time. The farmers have been getting old and dying on me, and their heirs are selling out the land. It's being developed into mini-subdivisions of 400-500,000 houses. Meanwhile, from the other direction, apartments and cheap townhouses move closer.

This neighborhood will either be bought up and converted to very expensive housing (good for me), or go rental (bad for me). I figure we've got 5-7 years before I know which way it's going to fall. If it goes rental, I'll have to get out.

How can they FORCE your neighbourhood to go rental?

HomeLAN

Uh, they can't. Market forces would do that. It would slowly creep in as more and more owners move out and rent.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Uh, they can't. Market forces would do that. It would slowly creep in as more and more owners move out and rent.

ah *taps head*

BeardofPants

2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. Live right in the CBD, and it's great, I love our place. We paid under $300,000 for it and it's now valued at $450,000. There's a sun deck/bbq area, as well as a sauna upstairs.