Where does our oil come from?

Jeslek

Banned
We produce 40.1% of our own oil, and import 59.9%. The only Middle Eastern country in that list is Saudi Arabia.

Ardsgaine

True, but look at the bottom where it says "Persian Gulf Countries." There's another 2.3% coming from somewhere in the region.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter how much we actually import, it's the total supply of oil in the world that determines how much we pay per barrel. We, and all the countries of the world, are affected by oil production in the middle east. The world benefits from a cheap supply of energy.

More importantly, the world would benefit from seeing to it that none of the income from that oil ends up in the hands of terrorists and/or blood-soaked dictators.

Anyone who says that we're going to war in Iraq in order to grab some free oil is just plain wrong. Mexico is much closer and would be much more economical to invade, if that were our goal. We could annex their territory, and make them all citizens. Since half of them are already in the US, they probably wouldn't notice. Not only would such an invasion give us their oil supplies, it would solve the immigration problem as well.

If that plan worked out, Canada would be next... just the western half, I think. They've got more natural resources and fewer liberals, and they'd probably be very appreciative of anything that would disassociate them from Quebec.

ris

you aught to be careful attacking switzerland. they got their own missile defense system - yodelling :eek:

catocom

I heard Switzerland was badass.:shrug:
Maybe that's why nobody messes with them.
Or maybe it's because that's where all the money is.:laugh:

Professur

Jerrek said:
We produce 40.1% of our own oil, and import 59.9%. The only Middle Eastern country in that list is Saudi Arabia.

But how much of our production do we export? I find it odd that we sell our own oil to buy from other countries, but we do.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Professur said:
Jerrek said:

But how much of our production do we export? I find it odd that we sell our own oil to buy from other countries, but we do.

I'd like to see the stats of what we Export as well. Piss me right off if we're exporting what we are importing just to keep the price down for others.

Ardsgaine

Professur said:

It's not as if there's a single company that's selling the oil it pumps out of the ground and then turning around and purchasing oil from overseas. There's no monolithic "we" involved. There's just a lot of "thems".

Jeslek

Banned
freako104 said:
i thought our oil at least for the most part came from trade with the Middle East.
Not too much. A bit, but I do believe the US *can* increase its own production a bit. Not to mention there are a lot of oil stored.

The problem is that most European countries import from the Middle East. In fact, Germany imports only from Iraq. A war there is going to impact gas prices in Europe substantially. The US will be affected hard too, of course.

This article may be interesting, and mind you, this is from a pretty liberal source... http://www.yellowtimes.com/article.php?sid=1018&mode=thread&order=0