Which Budget Graphics Card?

Aunty Em

I'm working out how much it would cost to build a budget AMD 1.3 Duron on an MSI 745 Ultra mobo for my brother-in-law. It will be upgradable to XP at a later date. Basically I need to know given the choice between these graphics cards which one would you choose for a gaming machine and why?

either a:

GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB AGP RP £27.00
Radeon 7000 64MB AGP RP VO £27.00

or:

GeForce 4 MX440SE 64MB AGP VO £33.00
Radeon 7500 64MB AGP DVI VO £34.00

Depending on how far I can push his budget. Or should I stick with a 32MB until he gan afford something better?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Aunty Em said:
GeForce 4 MX440SE 64MB AGP VO £33.00

I've got that one, I'm pretty happy with it. Won't play the games with all eye candy on, but it will play all the games.

Aunty Em

Thanks... I was thinking that one maybe, but I need backup to convince him it's the best solution as he just wants to go for the cheapest. :rolleyes: :)

As it is, I'm probably gonna use the old heatsink out of my TBird to cut a small corner - it's rated to 1.5 and it seems a shame to throw it away if it can be used. I've got some proper TIM cleaner and plenty of AS3.

RD_151

I've got two of the geforce mx440s as well (one with DDR (Asus) one without (aopen, same one as PT), I'd try to get the DDR card if you can, but its gonna cost more). Its not a bad card for what it is (even the SDRAM version). I'm not a big gamer, but I'd have to guess it be superior to the radeon 7500. The 8500 would be a better choice, but then it costs a lot more.

Aunty Em

I might be able to persuade him to spend a little more on the graphics card as the sound is integrated on the motherboard.

I'm trying to find a resonably priced case at the moment.

RD_151

that's one thing I don't like about the mx440s. I hate the way the TV out works. I like ATIs TV out better. I end up having to turn of my monitor and reboot with just the TV connected to use it. Is it just me, or is there a way to have the monitor and the TV connected at the same time while playing a movie using the full screen on the TV? It works fine with my ATI card, but for some reason I haven't managed to have both connected with these mx440s. I didn't try to hard though, I'm kind of lazy :D

PT

Ah, maybe that's what I have to try, are you saying to unplug the monitor completely, RD?

RD_151

So its not just me :D

Yep, thats what I do. Its a bitch too cuz my wife made me cancel delivery on my 55" HDTV. Instead, I have a pathetic 27" and you can't read shit! My old 50" non HD TV is pretty readable, but I gave it to my dad when I moved. Its good for him though I guess.

I ususally totaly disconnect the monitor and just boot with the TV on. It sucks, cuz you can have both with an ATI card, and actually read what's their on your monitor, then turn it off when you start the movie.

PT

RD_151 said:
Yep, thats what I do. Its a bitch too cuz my wife made me cancel delivery on my 55" HDTV. Instead, I have a pathetic 27" and you can't read shit! My old 50" non HD TV is pretty readable, but I gave it to my dad when I moved. Its good for him though I guess.

I'll try it tonight. :hairbang:

RD_151

Just make sure you put the movie somewhere easy to find. I had like 20 in one folder, and I couldn't find it. I had to reboot with the monitor and put somewhere easier to find. Hopefully you have an HDTV though, or at least an old style projection tv. Anything under about 50" in non HD really sucks!!!

RD_151

I bet it rocks on an HDTV though. Although, thanks to my wife I might never know :( Ah f@#k it. She'd never 'let me' use it for games anyway.