Whisky

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Scotch whisky of course.

When I was younger I used to dislike whisky, I always said it tasted like plants. But now it is my favourite drink. I haven't read much about it, nor tried too many brands.

Right now I've settled with johnnie walker red label for the occasional drinking with friends. Black label for enjoying it without getting drunk. And now I got a bottle of Green label, which I haven't tried yet.

So far I've tried the most commercial brands: chivas reagal, buchannan's, ballantines, william lawsons and johnnie walker (and some other cheapos).

Are there other interesting brands to look for?
How do you drink it?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I always prefered bourbon or sour mash over scotch. I like Southern Comfort and Jim Beam for flavor, or something like Bourbon Falls to mix with. Maker's Mark is exceptional too, as is Wild Turkey. Good sipping whiskey is just that...to be sipped, straight up, no ice no chaser.

Cannot tolerate Canadian whiskeys.

highwayman

I'm with Southern on this but don't care for Southern Comfort, sour mash and bourbon should be taken straight and should not be mixed with anything but water. I drink it "neat".

Dave

i had a bad experience with whiskey as a kid. cant tolerate the smell of the stuff to this day.

Winky

i'm with you spoto

the only time i was truly able to wreck myself
before i checked myself was with hard liquior

but that was back when i 'used' to drink
lo those many years ago...

IDLEchild

Did you know the name "Whiskey" comes from a Gailic word meaning "water of life", reffering to whiskey's madicinal uses in the ancient times.

The term "whiskey", in modern times, comes from the AA word meaning "beater of wife", reffering to the alcohol fueled abuse induced by whiskey and many other fine liquors.

Luis G

Staff member
Professur said:
Fuck you too. No, seriously, I'm not a fan of it myself. Now this on the other hand .....you insult at your own peril.

Interesting, is it just one whisky or is it blended?

Luis G

Staff member
So here I am finally tasting the bottle I got of jw green label (15 years). A really really smooth flavour.

Luis G

Staff member
I tried a new one, Grand Old Parr 12 year. Boy oh boy, this is good stuff. Definitely for special occasions, nonetheless, it will sure get you drunk 'cause you just can't stop drinking it.

Professur

Yep. What you really want to do it get into a tasting society or club. Your tastebuds will love you, your liver will hate you, and you won't really give a rat's ass about either one.

Luis G

Staff member
Not tasting societies for me. I'm more of the kind that collects bottles and enjoys relaxing while drinking whatever my mood dictates.

Luis G

Staff member
Buchannan's 18 years
AVOID IT!!, it simply isn't worth it. Tasteless, flavour will not endure in your mouth, aroma is weak at most, it is expensive and it gave me a headache the next morning.

Buchannan's 12 years
A really fine whisky, kinda expensive for what it is but it will sure delight you. Not as good as a JW black label IMO.