who killed the Lord of the Nazgûl?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Merry or Eowyn? :confuse3:

I was convinced that it was Eowyn who killed him, but a friend that is a fanatic is telling me that it was Merry.

Ardsgaine

It was Eowyn. He couldn't be killed by man, so a woman killed him. Merry distracted him by stabbing him in the leg, but it was Eowyn that dealt the death blow.

Luis G

Staff member
Yes, that's what i thought as well, but i better share what he told me. He said that Merry broke the spell by stabbing him in the back of his knee.

I thought hey, the Nazgûl isn't Aquiles, but i couldn't tell if what he told me was truth or not 'cause that isn't mentioned in the book (how to break the spell)

unclehobart

Merry used a 2nd age blade of Westernesse that he acquired from the Barrow Downs. Its magical power proceeded and was more powerful than the protections upon the Witch King.

ris

only in the film they skipped the bit in the barrow downs so now he must have popped to a local witchblade shop

unclehobart

Nah. They will just ignore the protections of the Witch King and just play it up as a straight wound. Either that or Denethor will end up presenting him with a good blade.

Luis G

Staff member
:( i guess i should read the incomplete stories and the missing tales, and all the middle earth history 'cause i have no idea about the "witch king protections".

unclehobart

Its not so much protections as he is a ghost or sorts that can't be touched. Normal weapons are supposed to be ineffective and pass right through them.

AlladinSane

Denethor never met Merry. He came to the battlefield along with Theoden from Rohan. In the movie the blades are given to the Hobbits by Aragorn in Amon Sûl. I just reread again the part in which they kill the Witch King and I still think spell or not, Eowyn did the mortal blow

unclehobart

Whoops... sorry 'bout that. It was Pippin who met Denethor. Merry would still be in a position to be given a choice weapon from the stockpiles of Theoden. One kings ancient arsenal would serve the plotline just as well as the other.

Luis G

Staff member
Ardsgaine said:
It was Eowyn. He couldn't be killed by man, so a woman killed him. Merry distracted him by stabbing him in the leg, but it was Eowyn that dealt the death blow.

I just read that in the LOTR Appendixes, for some strange reason in the english edition the appendixes are included in the last book, but in spanish it is a book apart.