Why is math taught in schools?

Jeslek

Banned
This is why maths is taught in school:

I was riding to work yesterday when I observed a female driver cut right in front of a pickup truck, causing him to have to drive onto the shoulder to avoid hitting her. This evidently angered the driver enough that he hung his arm out his window and "flipped" the woman off. "Man, that guy is stupid," I thought to myself. I ALWAYS smile nicely and wave in a sheepish manner whenever a female does anything to me in traffic, and here's why:

I drive 48 miles each way every day to work. That's 96 miles each day. Of these, 16 miles each way is bumper-to-bumper. Most of the bumper-to-bumper is on an 8-lane highway. There are 7 cars every 40 feet for 32 miles.

That works out to be 982 cars every mile, or 31,424 cars. Even though the rest of the 32 miles is not bumper to bumper, I figure I pass at least another 4000 cars. That brings the number to something like 36,000 cars that I pass every day. Statistically, half of these are driven by females.

That's 18,000 women drivers!

In any given group of females, 1 in 28 has PMS. That's 642. According to Cosmopolitan, 70% describe their love life as dissatisfying or unrewarding. That's 449. According to the National Institute of Health, 22% of all females have seriously considered suicide or homicide. That's 98. And 34% describe men as their biggest problem. That's 33. According to the National Rifle Association, 5% of all females carry weapons, and this number is increasing.

That means that EVERY SINGLE DAY, I drive past at least one female that has a lousy love life, thinks men are her biggest problem, has seriously considered suicide or homicide, has PMS, and is armed.

Flip one off? ... I think not!!!!

:rofl2:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Men ARE my biggest problem!!!

You guys are always saying you want sex but I can't seem to snag of ya no matter how hard I try (yes, I want more than JUST sex but I don't even get OFFERED just sex :( )!

Aunty Em

LastLegionary said:
An English mile is 1,600 meters. An American mile is 1,760 yards.

Get that continental rubbish off my computer! :eek: A mile may be equivalent to 1600 meters but it's 1760 yards in english thank you very much! You lot got them from us! :p ;)

Just 'cos the Government is hell bent on converting us doesn't mean they can do it without a fight, or that you can help them. :D

Jeslek

Banned
1,760 yards = 1609.34 meters

1,600 meters = 1,749.78 yards

1 English mile = 1,600.00 meters

1 American mile = 1,609.34 meters

;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I was making a joke at the expense of our different countries. It didn't work. Drop it, it was stupid :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
LastLegionary said:
This is why maths is taught in school:

I was riding to work yesterday when I observed a female driver cut right in front of a pickup truck, causing him to have to drive onto the shoulder to avoid hitting her. This evidently angered the driver enough that he hung his arm out his window and "flipped" the woman off. "Man, that guy is stupid," I thought to myself. I ALWAYS smile nicely and wave in a sheepish manner whenever a female does anything to me in traffic, and here's why:

I drive 48 miles each way every day to work. That's 96 miles each day. Of these, 16 miles each way is bumper-to-bumper. Most of the bumper-to-bumper is on an 8-lane highway. There are 7 cars every 40 feet for 32 miles.

That works out to be 982 cars every mile, or 31,424 cars. Even though the rest of the 32 miles is not bumper to bumper, I figure I pass at least another 4000 cars. That brings the number to something like 36,000 cars that I pass every day. Statistically, half of these are driven by females.

That's 18,000 women drivers!

In any given group of females, 1 in 28 has PMS. That's 642. According to Cosmopolitan, 70% describe their love life as dissatisfying or unrewarding. That's 449. According to the National Institute of Health, 22% of all females have seriously considered suicide or homicide. That's 98. And 34% describe men as their biggest problem. That's 33. According to the National Rifle Association, 5% of all females carry weapons, and this number is increasing.

That means that EVERY SINGLE DAY, I drive past at least one female that has a lousy love life, thinks men are her biggest problem, has seriously considered suicide or homicide, has PMS, and is armed.

Flip one off? ... I think not!!!!

:rofl2:
I think the person who wrote that joke is stupid. It calculates each statistic based on the result of the last one. There's no way to be sure that so many females fall under all those statistics.

I like the idea of the joke, but instead of assuming all the statistics were linked together, the more accurate punchline would've started something like this - "every single day, I could possibly drive past a female that ..."

Jeslek

Banned
For a minute, just one minute, stop being a geek and enjoy life for what it is without digital circuits and glass tubes. :p

unclehobart

hmm.. glass tubes... I wonder If I can mock up a 2GHz cpu with vaccum tube tech? It shouldn't be larger than my entire basement and draw more power than your average baseball stadium.