why some handicapped people bother me. a lot.

Uki Chick

I used to have this handicapped guy near my parent's house. He was just simply strange. He used to follow me around, he even tried to jump on me in the public pool once. He used to give everyone the creeps and no one wanted to be around him. He used to even come to our houses and ask for food and such. He wasn't homeless, so all he had to do was go home to get some food.

I usually don't have a problem with the handicapped, although some of them do look for pity. I can be sympathetic to their situation, but I'm not gonna change my life around them. I do agree with the handicapped stickers though. Some people take advantage of them and use others stickers for their own benefit. I've seen numerous people do that and it bothers me. There should be better ways of controlling that.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
people taking resources that they don't need, reminds me of one thing that pisses me off totally, handicapped parking stickers (or rearview mirrow things)

So many people are getting them when they dont' need them, I have heard stories of people asking there doctor friends getting it for them, when they are 100% healthy, and it gets my blood boiling.

and I started writting this having a point.....but it eluded me.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Uki Chick said:
I used to have this handicapped guy near my parent's house. He was just simply strange. He used to follow me around, he even tried to jump on me in the public pool once. He used to give everyone the creeps and no one wanted to be around him. He used to even come to our houses and ask for food and such. He wasn't homeless, so all he had to do was go home to get some food.

I usually don't have a problem with the handicapped, although some of them do look for pity. I can be sympathetic to their situation, but I'm not gonna change my life around them. I do agree with the handicapped stickers though. Some people take advantage of them and use others stickers for their own benefit. I've seen numerous people do that and it bothers me. There should be better ways of controlling that.

again another case of soemone beig an asshole it has nothign to do with him being handicapped, it has to do with him being a jerk (I met him, 100% pure jerk) and he uses his handicap to protect hmself from being a jerk.

BlurOfSerenity

Oz said:
No one should have to curb themselves to Ash's ideas of "how to behave"

you're right. they shouldn't. and they don't.

Oz said:
Yup.....disability or not, they are still an active and important part of our society. And the fact that a disabled person's reaction to a situation has shocked you Ash......well, it makes me wonder if you've been walking around with your eyes and ears closed your whole life.

i never said, or meant to imply, that i thought they weren't active and important members of society. and it didn't shock me, i wasn't like, OMG WTF? rather, i'm generally bothered by the whole "the world owes me so much" mentality.

Oz said:
Strange.....you'll totally dismiss my attitude direct towards you....yet you spent ten mins on a public messageboard complaining about an earlier event.....complaining about it after the event.

You standards of judgements are admirable Ash :rolleyes:

i also didn't call you or anyone else a "fucking inconsiderate cow" :winkkiss:

Oz

ash r said:
but if they want to be respected and treated with compassion, being nice is usually considered a helpful thing.

I've got to ask you about this one Ash..

...what on earth makes you think they wanted you respect or compassion? :confused:

I've yet to meet a disabled person (and considering I used to tutor a class of 25-30 of them every day....I've met a few in my time) who thinks "if only everyone would treat us with respect and compassion....my life would be so much nicer".

A person with a disability deals with life in exactly the same way the rest of the world does.....raise kids, worry about paying bills and dealing with the world on a day to day basis....sure, a few may "play" on their disabilities...but the majority certainly ain't looking for respect or compassion from the average person in the street, at least, no more respect and compassion that they give out.

I find your attitude to be extremely condescending.

BlurOfSerenity

Oz said:
...what on earth makes you think they wanted you respect or compassion? :confused:

oh, mainly the fact that that's usually what PEOPLE in general expect.
don't get me wrong, there may be some people who have every intention of getting rocks thrown at them and their houses set on fire and their faces smashed in and everyone they ever encounter to be completely evil to them on a daily basis for their whole lives, but for the most part i think it's safe to say that most people just want to get along in day-to-day life without having to worry about some dickwad doing this-that-or-the-other-thing.
i think that respect is a perfectly reasonable thing to respect. and i'm sure the majority agrees with me on this.

MrBishop

Uki Chick said:
I do agree with the handicapped stickers though. Some people take advantage of them and use others stickers for their own benefit. I've seen numerous people do that and it bothers me. There should be better ways of controlling that.

A knife..usually only about 2 inches long, inserted quickly into the rear tire (and maybe the front one too) will generally ensure that if they aren't handicapped when they left the car, they damn well will be 'handicapped' when they come back.

*Aimed at people who you KNOW aren't handicapped but insist on using the space anyways*

**Within two blocks of my house are two homes for the severely handicapped... people using straws in their mouths to control their wheelchair and household electronics. Most of them take regular 'walks' around the neighbourhood. I've talked with most of them...some are very nice, some are just OK and 2 of them are just fuckin' creepy bastards. C'est la vie...

Saying that they're just people is too simplistic. Yes, they have their good days and bad, good personalities and bad...but some use their dissability as an excuse to be worth than they were prior to their 'accident'.

freako104

having worked in a camp with disabled kids and having a former co worker who was disabled I can say I have a tremendous amount of repsect for them. Though I will agree with Ash in her scenario I disagree with the second as the security guards shouldnt have parked there. but all disabeled people are that. people. with their own personalities. some can be cool as hell others can be dicks.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
ash r said:
i didn't mean for it to

it was the use of the word compassion, why would they want yours, or mine, they dont' know us, chances are they are doing fine living their life, doing their own thing.

As for wanting respect, I know for myself, I don't want a strangers respect, I don't want their anything to tell you the truth, but I am very anti-social.

I want the respect of my friends.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
freako104 said:
having worked in a camp with disabled kids and having a former co worker who was disabled I can say I have a tremendous amount of repsect for them. Though I will agree with Ash in her scenario I disagree with the second as the security guards shouldnt have parked there. but all disabeled people are that. people. with their own personalities. some can be cool as hell others can be dicks.

Reminds me of a story, I wused to work at a camp that had physically and/or mantally handicapped children (as well as mainstream children), I was working on the farm, so while people where playing volleyball basketball etc those that couldn't came down to the farm, I remeber one girl, 13, in a wheelchair due to cerebal palsy, well I was her favorite, at the farm there was me (6'2") and a bunch of wispy little horse loving girls, so I was the one who took her riding. anyway to the story, it was an open house all the rich contributers where there (charity run camp) and I was getting off the horse, and helping her down when a man in a suit walks up, and starts talking to this girl "blah blah blah, I respct your courage blah blah blah must be so hard for you blah blah blah" well he had problems speaking, but I understood her, so I had to translate her response for her.

Mr Money Bags: "what did he say"
Me: "uhmm, well"
Her *hits my arm
Me: "she said you are a condisending prick"

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
MrBishop said:
A knife..usually only about 2 inches long, inserted quickly into the rear tire (and maybe the front one too) will generally ensure that if they aren't handicapped when they left the car, they damn well will be 'handicapped' when they come back.

*Aimed at people who you KNOW aren't handicapped but insist on using the space anyways*
I make it a point to discuss the improper use of these tags whenever I see one of the offenders leaving or arriving. A good cold, long stare seems to help some too.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
PuterTutor said:
I make it a point to discuss the improper use of these tags whenever I see one of the offenders leaving or arriving. A good cold, long stare seems to help some too.

I just have the urge to make the tags justified

HomeLAN

My personal fav is a car in a handicapped spot without a sticker or permit. I tend to strongly consider keying the paintjob for that offense.

Lukav

Lukav said:
yeah, i have had this happen to me from time to time, like when im walking through a town or something, and somebody comes in front of me, i walk to the left and he/she moves to the left and they keep looking back at me as if to say stop following me, one day i even got so pissed with one i just told them to f**k off and stop pi**ing me off

[edit]just to let you know, i dont have a problem with them, just that this one inpaticular was pi**ing me off and i was in a bad mood :disgust2: [/edit]
i hope you guys noticed this, cause this is quite important, well, not that important but oh well

BeardofPants

Oz said:
A person with a disability deals with life in exactly the same way the rest of the world does.....raise kids, worry about paying bills and dealing with the world on a day to day basis....sure, a few may "play" on their disabilities...but the majority certainly ain't looking for respect or compassion from the average person in the street, at least, no more respect and compassion that they give out.

I find your attitude to be extremely condescending.

I was gonna type out a driatribe, but then I read this, and oz makes my point perfectly. You can't judge a disabled person on their being disabled, they are people as well, and I too find your attitude to be extremely condescending, especially since you are the type of person to put up extremely irritating threads on how your cat farted... Did you ever stop to consider that there may be some people on this board who ARE handicapped, or disabled?

And for the record, I have a disability, and what you wrote made hopping mad.

BeardofPants

HomeLAN said:
My personal fav is a car in a handicapped spot without a sticker or permit. I tend to strongly consider keying the paintjob for that offense.
Homie? I dunno 'bout over there, but here, it's usually the fucking BMWs and mercedes that get parked there.... guess they want to be able to see their cars whilst shopping. :disgust2: