Not open for further replies.

ClaireBear

Banned
Leslie said:
Show me.
Where?

or back the fuck off.

If this is a wall pissing contest Leslie I'm not interested... :rolleyes:

Just think about what I'm saying... unless there is negative, offensive, nastiness, "personal attacks" in a thread where an immediate closure is required... the members involved in the thread (the main posters with a bit to say) should be asked to vote for its closure....

Just a few PM's or a note in the shout box or even the thread itself...

Call it... democratic.

Now I'll "back the fuck off"... how charming!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
This is me asking you to back up an allusion you've made towards my moderation. Seems you can't?

Raven

Annoying SOB
fury said:
I gotta admit she's right, Les, there are :eek5: TWO WHOLE LOCKED THREADS in 26 pages of the real world (not including stickies). Just call us ThreadLock™ Central. We are a bunch of tyrants, aren't we? :beerbang:
Oh you got us flurrfy....we secretley cannot stand the amount of free speech that you allow to run rampant on these forums :D

ClaireBear

Banned
Leslie said:
This is me asking you to back up an allusion you've made towards my moderation. Seems you can't?

What allusion?.. the fact the to me, you seem to close more threads than most... Jesus! Take it as a compliment... take it as an insult... I don't care!

But at least take it as it is.... my opinion! And it seems that everyone here is allowed one of those... especially if they can be badly received...

Shoe.. other foot... Leslie?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
ClaireBear said:
You don't take a vote or pole with those involved... it just gets closed...
Of course you don't; this isn't a democracy. If every degenerated thread had to be voted on before it could get closed, nothing would ever get done. And, of course, the people who are the prime reasons the thread degenerated will vote for the thread to stay open so they can continue to throw crap at each other like monkeys. It's much easier for a moderator or administrator to make a quick judgment call, and in this case, think, "Hey, this thread hasn't served a purpose for the last 3 pages, there's no more discussion to be had, I'll close it now to prevent it from escalating any further."

This style of moderation has worked for this site for the past 3 years. If you feel that a democracy style moderation would work better, you are free to start your own site. Hell, some of us might even go post and give you a nice shove off party complete with beer and pizza (or wine and cheese, whichever is your style).

But over here, the moderators and administrators close what they think is necessary to close, and what is in violation with the AUP. Their decision is not governable by any member, no matter what.

ClaireBear

Banned
Yes.. Leslie.

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation or the act of presenting such material to the public.

Well I'd say we're all pretty into that...

And how damaging is it to suggest that in my own personal opinion you appear to close more thread than other moderators?... If I were yto give a derogitory reason for your action then that would be damaging!!!

Now I'm not about to get more deeply involved in this pissing contest...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
exchanges are more than not closed mid flow and TBH the times I've been a' counting its done by you

WHERE? It's a load, and you know it.

ClaireBear

Banned
Leslie said:
exchanges are more than not closed mid flow and TBH the times I've been a' counting its done by you

WHERE?

My definition of closed mid flow... is

"without the joint consent of the posters involved"

to me it is in essence mid flow! And as I have said previously this is my personal opinion... NOW YOU "BACK THE F**K OFF!"

(I can see why you like that phrase actually... very cathartic :D )

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna pull a gonz here...
ClaireBear said:
My definition of closed mid flow... is

"without the joint consent of the posters involved"

fury said:
Of course you don't [vote]; this isn't a democracy. If every degenerated thread had to be voted on before it could get closed, nothing would ever get done. And, of course, the people who are the prime reasons the thread degenerated will vote for the thread to stay open so they can continue to throw crap at each other like monkeys. It's much easier for a moderator or administrator to make a quick judgment call, and in this case, think, "Hey, this thread hasn't served a purpose for the last 3 pages, there's no more discussion to be had, I'll close it now to prevent it from escalating any further."

This style of moderation has worked for this site for the past 3 years. If you feel that a democracy style moderation would work better, you are free to start your own site. Hell, some of us might even go post and give you a nice shove off party complete with beer and pizza (or wine and cheese, whichever is your style).

But over here, the moderators and administrators close what they think is necessary to close, and what is in violation with the AUP. Their decision is not governable by any member, no matter what.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
For what it's worth...

I was one of the more vocal participants in the thread being discussed. I said my piece, replied when asked a question, and freely participated to the level I felt inclined to do so. Once the discussion began to get redundant in my personal opinion, I abandoned it. I did continue to read it, and became bored with it quickly.

IMO that is what prof was talking about when he asked if it was still serving a useful purpose. I could be wrong about that; you'd have to ask him.

A moderator stepped in AT THAT POINT and after (I assume) reviewing the thread and evaluating it for its continued validity versus its potential for flaming, deemed it no longer valid and closed it. That's why there are mods (well, one reason anyway) on boards like this.

Should one or more participants in the discussion decide to cointinue the discussion, I am certain someone will create a new thread in which to do so, and that the same standards would be applied to it.

Having been a mod at another site, I will say that I admire the standards here. Never once have I seen one closed prematurely; if anything, some are left open too long or not caught in time before things get nasty. The level that is maintained here is the primary reason I chose to hang a hat in these parts for awhile. People are allowed to discuss, disagree, and disagree vehemently. Still, sometimes a topic has more than outlived its usefullness. When that happens, it needs to be locked.

No one forces any of us to be here. If at any time I feel like things are not being tended to in such a way that it makes me unhappy, I'll vamoose. I've done it before, and I'll likely do it again.

Now, let's all play nice, have a Coke and a smile, and get on with our lives.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
ClaireBear said:
http://64.235.243.33/~otc/forum/showthread.php?t=16540

http://64.235.243.33/~otc/forum/showthread.php?t=17814

I ...I found two. I'm not very good at searching though... maybe it seemed more because you actually closed one of mine...
I see no reason that either of those locks were unjust. Maybe I should just rip my administrator eyes out of the socket and cram in some member eyes instead?

ok, that was a little painful but I think I got it.

Nope, still don't see it.

Raven

Annoying SOB
SouthernN'Proud said:
For what it's worth...

I was one of the more vocal participants in the thread being discussed. I said my piece, replied when asked a question, and freely participated to the level I felt inclined to do so. Once the discussion began to get redundant in my personal opinion, I abandoned it. I did continue to read it, and became bored with it quickly.

IMO that is what prof was talking about when he asked if it was still serving a useful purpose. I could be wrong about that; you'd have to ask him.

A moderator stepped in AT THAT POINT and after (I assume) reviewing the thread and evaluating it for its continued validity versus its potential for flaming, deemed it no longer valid and closed it. That's why there are mods (well, one reason anyway) on boards like this.

Should one or more participants in the discussion decide to cointinue the discussion, I am certain someone will create a new thread in which to do so, and that the same standards would be applied to it.

Having been a mod at another site, I will say that I admire the standards here. Never once have I seen one closed prematurely; if anything, some are left open too long or not caught in time before things get nasty. The level that is maintained here is the primary reason I chose to hang a hat in these parts for awhile. People are allowed to discuss, disagree, and disagree vehemently. Still, sometimes a topic has more than outlived its usefullness. When that happens, it needs to be locked.

No one forces any of us to be here. If at any time I feel like things are not being tended to in such a way that it makes me unhappy, I'll vamoose. I've done it before, and I'll likely do it again.

What he said.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
For what it's worth...

:beerbang: :toast:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
CB, this board has been around 3 years, at the beginning we thought it was better to keep moderation at a minumun, we even allowed people to insult each other and do their flame wars. With time that didn't work.

So we started to moderate those behaviours and it was like that for about a good year of improvements to the AUP and to our moderation criteria.

Take my word, we've seen a lot of threads like those degenerate even more and in the end it is NOT NICE. Why risk taking the board to a non-stable condition?

Is it really so hard to trust our judgement?

And if you're so concerned about following the subject, why don't you make a thread to discuss specifically what you want to be discussed further?

Status
Not open for further replies.