Wimbledon

greenfreak

Ah tennis. I used to keep up with it back in the days of John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova, Jimmy Connors, Chris Evert Lloyd... My uncle had the contract to provide security for the US Open in Flushing Meadows, NY. We got to go and do whatever we wanted. I even got on t.v. once and my Dad was Martina's security guard for a few years. :D

I haven't watched it in years though. It just seems to me like they're trying to make a big deal out of people like Anna Kournikova (who I heard is a terrible player) and the Williams sisters. At least they do over here, not sure about Wimbledon. I'm sure it's much less of a circus there. :)

Scanty

I love Wimbledon. I don't know how they portray it in the States but it just has the best atmosphere over here. Every year you get that strawberries-and-cream, Henmania, Wimbledon fever - that's if you're a fan - and it's great.

Anna Kournikova doesn't really feature over here. Last year they played an interview that she did after a match she had lost. She thought the cameras had stopped recording and was less that polite to the interviewer. She's not really considered a big player.

It's gonna be great this year. It's only the first day and the number one seed has been knocked out, Rusedski's won for the first time in yonks and the weather is :headbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Understood about half that.

It's played up pretty big here too, we don't get the strawberries and cream, but I saw a little spot about that a couple years ago. They look good. Dammit, I'm hungry now.

Scanty

ok...so we've established that no one's interested... :D ...but did anyone catch Rusedski's match yeterday? All the swearing and throwing around of rackets?
John McEnroe estimates he's gonna be fined quite a few thousand pounds. :eek10:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
you've seen his services? :eek:

239 km/h!! OH. MY. GOD.

but! Sjeng Schalken is gonna kick Henmans pretty ass, without doubt..:D

:p

Scanty

I'm guessing he's Dutch? :D

Yeah, that match was awesome because Rusedski and Roddick share the world record for the fastest serve - 149 miles an hour. I felt so sorry for the linesmen.

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
strawberries and cream... They look good. Dammit, I'm hungry now.
Can't have Wibblydon without strawberries and cream! :eek:

I usually get interested in the final week... :)

Scanty

WOOHOO!!! Go Tim! Go Tim! :banana:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

tim_henman_tb1.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words
239 km/h!! OH. MY. GOD.
I guess you'd just stand there as it went by, then say "did you just hear something?" :lol:

Mine probably wouldn't register on a radar gun, but on the plus side you can run around to the forehand side no mater where I hit it.