Wimmin talk

tonksy

So I want to pick the wimminz brains about their skin care regimen. I never had skin issues until my 30's and am struggling to find a plan that balances my (albeit minor) adult onset acne and anti-aging care but still has a moisturizer that will not clog my pores or leave a filmy covering on my skin.
I have funky skin. Most folks have a T zone? Yeah...the vertical part of my T is dry while the horizontal is oily...the rest being normal.
I was contemplating trying the Timewise line from Mary Kay and I got a sampler pack from the school Librarian who is a seller. I liked almost all of it save for the moisturizer....the downside is that it is uber pricy.
Today we went to the year end clearance sale at Bath & Body Works and they had starter packs of the Wexler line on sale so I picked up one. I tried it this evening and seem to really like it but time will tell. It's normally a bit pricy but not as bad as the Mary Kay.
I also like the C. O. Bigelow line they sell but that isn't really an all inclusive plan and as the stuff is pricy we only get it when it goes on sale but I swear by the cucumber toner.
Anyway...what do ya'll use? Do you like it? Does it work? Is it expensive?

Starya

Skin care? Let's see.. There's water, for when I wash, mixed with a drop of whatever soap is in my presence (only have stuff for sensitive skin lying about, everything else smells like a perfume department). And then there's.. well, that's pretty much it.

I also get dry skin, (but mostly on the horizontal part of the T :p ), so I'll put on some VIC before I head on out into the world.

tonksy

That pretty much sounds like what I did before my 30's...I feel like someone swapped skin with me or something.
:mope:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Pears or Ivory soap, Oil of Olay

Just like grandma. She has gorgeous skin to this day.

You want stuff that's going to make your skin soft and able to retain whatever elasticity it can, not "wrinkle minimizing" shit, which is temporary and does nothing for you other than looking like you had a facelift for an hour. If you REALLY want wrinkle minimizing shit, go with Preparation H. It's cheaper. If you wanna have nice lovely soft skin all of the time with minimal signs of aging, go basic, and use not much of anything. And stay the hell out of the sun.

simplyred

My Aunt sells Beauty Control. She did a skin test thingy with these little stickers that you stick on various places on your face. Then you stick them on this test strip and it helps determine which of their lines is best for you. I use the soap, toner, and moisture for oily sen. skin. Except at certain times of the month when I am prone to breakouts I switch the soap to their Acne soap, but keep the toner and moist. the same.

My Mom, ex-mother in law, and cousin have all switched to this product and all of us have seen a dramatic change in our skin.

tonksy

Pears or Ivory soap, Oil of Olay

Just like grandma. She has gorgeous skin to this day.

You want stuff that's going to make your skin soft and able to retain whatever elasticity it can, not "wrinkle minimizing" shit, which is temporary and does nothing for you other than looking like you had a facelift for an hour. If you REALLY want wrinkle minimizing shit, go with Preparation H. It's cheaper. If you wanna have nice lovely soft skin all of the time with minimal signs of aging, go basic, and use not much of anything. And stay the hell out of the sun.
Yeah...I don't need the wrinkle stuff...I am just afraid of getting them. I use a Dove bar to wash my face in the shower but I still break out - usually around that time of the month.
My Aunt sells Beauty Control. She did a skin test thingy with these little stickers that you stick on various places on your face. Then you stick them on this test strip and it helps determine which of their lines is best for you. I use the soap, toner, and moisture for oily sen. skin. Except at certain times of the month when I am prone to breakouts I switch the soap to their Acne soap, but keep the toner and moist. the same.

My Mom, ex-mother in law, and cousin have all switched to this product and all of us have seen a dramatic change in our skin.
Expensive?

Imagine drawing a T across your face with the top being across your forehead.

Inkara1

Oh... for that region, when I wash my hair, I also use the shampoo to clean my forehead, cheeks, etc.

tonksy

Um...touching your face causes pimples. Apparently the oils from your fingers are denser than the oils in your face blah, blah, blah....

MrBishop

Apricot face scrub and a nice aloe mask...if you get the thick masks, they don't spread evenly and you don't get the full effect.

I would've suggested a cornmeal mask, but Rob might not appreciate it as much :p Oatmeal mask perhaps... mix one egg and 1/2 cup cooked instant oatmeal and a teaspoon olive oil until smooth. Spread on your face and leave 15 min then rinse.

Milk of Magnesium works well too...grat oil remover, believe it or not.

*compliments of MrsBish and my siseter in law.

unclehobart

Apricot face scrub and a nice aloe mask...if you get the thick masks, they don't spread evenly and you don't get the full effect.

I would've suggested a cornmeal mask, but Rob might not appreciate it as much :p Oatmeal mask perhaps... mix one egg and 1/2 cup cooked instant oatmeal and a teaspoon olive oil until smooth. Spread on your face and leave 15 min then rinse.

Milk of Magnesium works well too...grat oil remover, believe it or not.

*compliments of MrsBish and my siseter in law.
I don't appreciate the oatmeal mask either. ;)

lets review:
corn
soy
peanuts
cats
oats

tonksy

And Hop...although he chooses to ignore it as it is minor.

Bish, those masks are alright but haven't worked for me as an everyday thing.

I used the Wexler products again this morning and will do so again tonight. I think I may have found my product line. The moisturizer leaves no residue and I really like the microderm abrasion stuff and the renewal cream.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Ok, here's an odd mix of things that really does work.

Spectra gel for washing your face.
Vichy water for toning
Nutrogena for acne prone and anti aging skin.

If you can't find Spectra gel, or don't like it, use Pears soap. Both of these were recommended to me by Dr. Groot. Awesome dermatologist who rid me of skin cancer!!

simplyred

I have found that buying straight Alum powder and mixing with some water for a monthly mask has been wonderful! It really tightens, forces that excess dirt out, and makes my skin look beautiful.