win 2k network help

dutchmaster

so i just installed win 2000 pro on new machine with onboard lan. windows tells me the device is working properly. I plug in my cable modem and all the lights come on.. I disconnect it and windows tells me the cable is unplugged like it should. i run ipconfig and get ip/subnet as 0.0.0.0.. I run ipconfig /renew and i get DHCP server unreachable. might I have to run a pppoe client even though I didnt on my 98 or xp box? cm works fine on every other comp. what gives?

Professur

Call your cable provider to confirm the dhcp is active. Their support line is the best place to start your debug.

dutchmaster

well, modem is currently hooked up to 2 computers via my router, both of which are working perfectly (98 and XP) on the dhcp server. I guess I'll just wait until I move this box to my other apt. and see if it works on connect leased from university :rolleyes:

dutchmaster

I don't know if they specifiy (router lets me clone the address anyhow to get around any limits), but I tried to connect this 3rd comp directly to the CM, cutting out the router, with no luck.

greenfreak

I had that problem with a new computer on my lan a while back and I just had to power down everything--the cable modem, router, all computers. Then turn them back on in that order and it was fine. I also had a problem with a bad cable too even though it was showing up as connected in Windows 2000. Besides doing that, maybe checking the Advanced TCP/IP settings to make sure DHCP is enabled? Good luck with it. :)

dutchmaster

well I basically did the same thing the other day, out of luck. My router routeinely stops working (it's cheap) and I have to power everything down. I did this and the 3rd comp just started working!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
most cable companies only "allow" one IP without an additional charge. Thay's why routers sell so well, among other reasons I suppose.

dutchmaster

when the prof said address I just thought MAC address, in which case I am not limited, and routers can clone to get around this.. IP addy I dunno, probably only one, but router is only hardware with ip assigned from ISP.