Windows 2000 Server is EVIL!

nalani

Ok y'all .. most of you know I'm a Mac girl but we're having an issue with this Windows 2000 Server and I need your help.

At startup we get this message with the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle:

At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details

Alright .. go to the Event Viewer .. Source: NetBT Event ID: 4311

doing the Run>cmd>net helpmsg 4311 I get the following:

The drive cannot be cleaned or does not support cleaning

Ok .. ummm.. huh? *groans* .. what do I do, oh mighty OTCers with the most PC knowledge *and* the ability to speak like a normal human (going to troubleshooting sites just makes me wanna hit someone LOL)

Thanks y'all .. please please please .. tell me what to do ..

nalani

I found those articles too .. but I didn't reinstall RAS ... I might try a few things from them though.

I didn't do anything - I actually don't have anything to do with the server. All I know is that one of the dumbass teachers (who has been issued her OWN computer) wanted to check her email. There are 6 PCs and umpteen Macs here, all online... and what does she do? Use the SERVER. There was a worm but that was taken care of (quarantine and cleaned out) then the data sessions started getting dropped and that message started appearing.

*sobs*

nalani

*prays you're not saying I have to go in to the Registry .. please please please, if there is a god, Prof is not telling me to use regedt32*

Professur

I'm saying ..... the virus did more damage than you thought. Evidently, it erased an important share. Unless you can figure out what that share was and restore it, there's no point going into the registry. Backup your datafiles, and restore your OS backup. Then restore your datafiles. Shouldn't take more than a day and a half all told.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm saying ..... the virus did more damage than you thought. Evidently, it erased an important share. Unless you can figure out what that share was and restore it, there's no point going into the registry. Backup your datafiles, and restore your OS backup. Then restore your datafiles. Shouldn't take more than a day and a half all told.

If you add in the time it takes to beat the idiot coworker about the head and shoulders with a blunt object, its closer to two days...;)

Professur

Careful perusal of the event log might yield a clue, as will some further detective work researching the virus. It's usually faster to do the restore. Surely you have some form of support company under contract...

nalani

Careful perusal of the event log might yield a clue, as will some further detective work researching the virus. It's usually faster to do the restore. Surely you have some form of support company under contract...

You'd think so, would you? *groans*

When the contract was up at the beginning of the school year, the school (and the new Principal) was too cheap to purchase an extension. I reminded them that my area is Mac and I should not be looked at the 'it's ok, we have nalani' excuse to not put money into an extension - not to mention the fact that I'm less than part time there *rolls my eyes* ... I don't even know if they have complete backups, outside of the file backups ...

Thanks for the help .. I really appreciate it. If you think of anything else, let me know .. I'd welcome anything.