windows administration: sharing IIS?

Mirlyn

So I've got a problem here. I need a few people to have access to a VB.NET-enabled server for a graduate project they're working on. I really don't want to give them administrator access for multiple reasons, one mainly being that I can't use our CenturionGuard hardware protection.

To do this, they need a XP system with access to a .NET enabled IIS server. Since there will be more than one of them doing projects, their accounts and settings for IIS must be separate.

Can I do this with Terminal Server? Can you administer/control SQL/IIS without admin access? Compile and administer .NET web applications?

I reeeeeaaaaallly don't want to give out admin access. :( Any ideas here?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
You could set up a new account type for them, gving them full rights to IIS and nothing else I suppose, probably take some trial and error figuring out what they would have to have access to, but I think it could be done.

Mirlyn

hmm.....we'll see. I tried joining everyone to the debugging group but still couldn't get access rights to compile/execute .NET applications.

rrfield

Could you give them Admininstrator rights to just that server, or would that be too much in your opinion?

rrfield

tommyj27

Not really Banned
how about one of the limited admin groups like 'server admins' or something, still too much power?

and if this is for a graduate project, why don't they buy their own server license and hardware?

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
Could you give them Admininstrator rights to just that server, or would that be too much in your opinion?

rrfield
Terminal Server gives them direct access to the server. One problem is this: Start > Shut down. Having administrator access includes the ability to shut down the server...."accidently" of course. ;)

Mirlyn

tommyj27 said:
and if this is for a graduate project, why don't they buy their own server license and hardware?
"unheard of and hogwash"

Well, thats how they see it anyway.

Apache needs to get their butt in gear and release a .NET interpreter. ;)

Mirlyn

tommyj27 said:
what's the deal with that MONO thing? isn't that a .net lookalike?
Question 55: Can Mono run applications developed with the Microsoft.NET framework?

Yes, Mono can run applications developed with the Microsoft .NET Framework on Unix. There are a few caveats to keep in mind: Mono has not been completed yet, so a few API calls might be missing; And in some cases the Mono behavior *might* be incorrect.
http://www.go-mono.com/faq.html#compatibility
Not completed 100% yet. I'm afraid if I deployed it that it'd turn into a "its not working so its your fault" thing and I'd end up debugging their work. :rolleyes: It's gotten farther than when I last looked at it (summer) so I'll look more into it tomorrow.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Just want to state that .net can lick my balls.

Just started Algorithms and Data Structures in C++, guess what? The fucking college in their inifinite Kiss Microsoft Ass has decided to not use the Borland compiler that I've been using for the last three years and instead use Visual Studio .Net. Fuckers.

Mirlyn

PuterTutor said:
Just want to state that .net can lick my balls.

Just started Algorithms and Data Structures in C++, guess what? The fucking college in their inifinite Kiss Microsoft Ass has decided to not use the Borland compiler that I've been using for the last three years and instead use Visual Studio .Net. Fuckers.
They did the same thing here a year ago. :(