windows longhorn build 4074...

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
i tested one of the evaluation copies of longhorn today...and i must say that MS still has a loooong way to go before it would be worthwhile to buy.
concerning the GUI, a few things have changed (sidebar for instance) and they came up with a few new themes.
the new toolbar is extremely big, and, to my annoyance, you can't really turn that thing off completely (or i didn't see that option)

unfortunately, the 'revolutionary' new file system they will introduce, wasn't really working yet, in this version. but i already read that is nothing more than a huge file database..

ah well, it's just a beta, and we'll see what comes up with the final release :)

for those who want to take a peek at a few screenshots: http://media.globaldiving.net/screenshare/longhorn/

oh, and the video is a video Microsoft released on the Professional Developers Conference 2003, last fall :D interesting case of marketing...Geeks Bearing Gifts...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've not been impressed with anything I've heard about Longhorn. It's my opinion that we've hit a bit of a wall with Windows. They really need to come out with something totally new and innovative, or people will simply continue to use 2k or Xp for quite some time.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
yeah, i agree. but let's face it, except for a few visual changes, XP didn't have a lot of better options than win2k. better support on a few points, but (for me) not convincing enough to spend a crapload of money on a new license.

but my complaints about longhorn aren't really justified...;) this is just the second public pre-alpha release.
first beta will be released in february 2005, second beta somewhere late 2005 and mid 2006 the final release.

of course there will be a lot of differences between this one, and the final (duh) but from what i've seen of MS' plans, they'll have a hard time convincing me.
but i'm sure a lot of people would buy it nevertheless...thinking that newer is always better :shrug:

we'll wait and see...

PT

Oh yeah, there are poeple that upgrade Office to the tuen of 200 per release for nothing more than an improved spell-checker. I just don't see an advantage yet. Keyword Yet, I'll keep an eye on it.

PT

PuterTutor said:
Oh yeah, there are poeple that upgrade Office to the tuen of 200 per release for nothing more than an improved spell-checker. I just don't see an advantage yet. Keyword Yet, I'll keep an eye on it.
Thats about the funniest thing I think I've ever posted. Sammy, any luck on finding a spell checker yet?