Wish me luck...I'm about to...

Professur

MrBishop said:
This was supposed to be a nice way to double my speed, tripple my RAM (33% faster to boot) and give m'Dad a decent machine...all in one go.

And how has that changed? Damn near any upgrade is gonna trash XP. That's a feature.

catocom

HomeLAN said:
Feel free to tell me to screw off, but what are you charging these days? My usual is $35 an hour, one hour minimum.
Well I vary a little bit, if I know the people well, and know how "well off" they are.

STD is 20/hr. ... 30min intervals.

MrBishop

Worst thatn that, Prof...a poorer tehc-idiot.

Install over the top...thereby erasing al the shit from the HD...right?
Fuck...might as well fdisk and forget about it.

Damn!

chcr

Too cute for words
Bish said:
literally erase everyhting and start afresh?

Sorry, I thought that's what you were doing. I'd have told you not to start. XP don't do that shit.

MrBishop

chcr said:
OK, Bish. so you haven't tried to boot his new guy yet, right?
Considering I'm typing on the machine that's being frankensized right now..nope. Practucally everything from this compi is going into the new one...'cept the MoBO, PowerSup and DIMMS.

**Edit - this box will get two new HDs, a DVDrom, a new Floppy, modem etc...

Professur

Actually, HL .... That's because I don't want people asking me to fix their machines outside the office. The office charges even more.

Bish, as a programmer, I'd be looking at $120,000 a year. But solid jobs are all west of here.

Over the top is you keep the existing install and install the new right into the same directory. Windows may keep enough .dll and .ini files intact to allow your old softs to still run. But personally, I don't do that unless there's no other option. Too great a risk of corruption, or hangups later. A fresh start is always the best start.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
Considering I'm typing on the machine that's being frankensized right now..nope. Practucally everything from this compi is going into the new one...'cept the MoBO, PowerSup and DIMMS.
OK, just stop. Set up one of the spare hdds as a slave on this box and back up your files, settings, favorites, everything onto that drive.

What drive(s) are you going to use on the new box?

Edit: Even stuff you don't think you'll need.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Over the top is you keep the existing install and install the new right into the same directory. Windows may keep enough .dll and .ini files intact to allow your old softs to still run. But personally, I don't do that unless there's no other option. Too great a risk of corruption, or hangups later. A fresh start is always the best start.
My best is the equivalent of $300/hr..but that's only 3 times per year :D

OK... I hate this shit...I really really do. Make sure all my files and goodies are backed up onto drive #2. Unplug everything...move everyhting over...boot up the new machine with the XP cd in the drive, cross my fingers and kiss my ass goodbye. Ddi I forget anything?

Ooh...Mobo bios etc...? Until XP is loaded...it won't recognize the USB flash storage.

MrBishop

chcr said:
OK, just stop. Set up one of the spare hdds as a slave on this box and back up your files, settings, favorites, everything onto that drive.

What drive(s) are you going to use on the new box?

Edit: Even stuff you don't think you'll need.
I've got a 20GB (main) and a slaved 40GB on this machine. I have copied over a lot of my shit from the 20 to the 40. Both drives will be going into the new box....the 20 first, as primary.