Wonder if this really happened

An elderly Florida lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car, found four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle. She dropped her shopping bags and drew her handgun, proceeding to scream at them at the top of her voice, "I have a gun and I know how to use it! Get out of the car!"

The four men didn't wait for a second invitation, but got out and ran like mad, whereupon the lady, somewhat shaken, proceeded to load her shopping bags into the back of the car and get into the driver's seat. She was so shaken that she could not get her key into the ignition. She tried and tried and then it dawned on her why.

A few minutes later she found her own car parked four or five spaces farther down. She loaded her bags into her car and drove to the police station.

The sergeant to whom she told the story nearly tore himself in two with laughter and pointed to the other end of the counter, where four pale white males were reporting a car jacking by a mad elderly woman described as white, less than 5' tall, glasses, and curly white hair carrying a large handgun. No charges were filed.

Ardsgaine

A girl I knew was working at the North Florida Fair selling tickets. She was getting ready to knock off and asked another friend of ours if he would go get her car, a baby blue Toyota Corona. He took her keys, went out to the parking in search of her car. A little later he walked up to the ticket booth and told her he had the car. She looked around and asked where it was. He pointed to a baby blue Toyota Corolla parked about 20 yds away, and said, "right there...." Somehow, for some reason, her key was able to fit it too. He had to take the Corolla back in a hurry, but he couldn't put it in the same parking spot. I've always wondered what the owner of that Corolla thought when he came out and found it in a completely different spot from where he parked it. :p

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I had a Chevy key to our family car when I was in high school that fit my friends car...I used to go out and sit in it when I was cutting class. I also had a 72 Datsun 240Z at the same time my brother had a 73 260Z. The keys were interchangable....most companies only had about 500 key variations . Then came the 'chips'.

Q

Wow. I know they only made a limited number of ignition keys (now they have those chips in them, so that couldn't happen) ...but anyway the chances of that happening gotta be about a bazillion to one. Woulda been kinda fun to hang around and watch them looking for their car....especially if they parked right in front of a pole or something, so they could find it right away. :D

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I read about one incident where the guy didn't realize he had the wrong car till he got home and went to get something out of the trunk...

Q

That would suck. Especially if you really wanted the thing in the trunk right then....or if you were the legitimate owner of the car and happened to be hiding a body in there.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
If you ever get hold of an old military Blazer, that key will fit every military Blazer and GM pick-up. Uncle Sam doesn't like spending money on frills...

greenfreak

I had a green two door 1994 Pontiac Sunbird and my friend Matt had a green two door 1993 Chevy Cavalier. In the dark, they looked almost identical (and really, they pretty much were-they're both GM's after all).

When we were both active in the ambulance corps, I can't tell you how many times I put my key in his door and couldn't figure out why it wasn't opening. Even better was when he left it open and I would set the alarm off when I tried to open the door. He had one of those alarms that didn't reset itself and if he was out on a call, the alarm would keep going off for an hour. The neighbors loved us.