World Cup 2006...

chcr

Too cute for words
I only got to actually see the first half of the France-Switzerland game. The guy running the counter at Fat Mo's is French though. It was almost as much fun watching him as the game. :lol:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
_41761884_060613eeuubody.jpg

_41761882_060613eeuubody2.jpg

And I thought no one in the US liked football.

Altron

Oh, we do like football. We really like football.

Professional soccer just doesn't recieve the same attention as football, hockey, and baseball.

Personally, I find baseball to be incredibly dull. I don't see why baseball is the American Dream sport but soccer is 'that sport that them overseas folk play'.

Soccer is interesting to watch, but it tends to go slower than football. In football, each play is like 30 seconds long, and you get all excited watching the QB run around and try to make the pass or run it. Soccer just doesn't have the same speed and excitement.

I find hockey to be just whatever. It's not as dull as baseball but not as interesting as football or soccer. They should replace it with major league ultimate frisbee. Now that's a real sport. It's not just about running fast or kicking/throwing hard, it's about precision. You should see what some ultimate frisbee players can do, it's amazing.

AlladinSane

Inkara1 said:
Yes... and losing a soccer match 3-0 is about the equivalent of losing a football game 42-0, or losing a baseball game 12-0.
Actually, that would be like 6-0 (six touch-downs + 6 extra-points or 7 TDs right?). I would like to have watched that game, but from what I heard Czech Republic was the best team to have shown by now. All the big players have started by now(no, Spain is not one of them, no matter how they lobby it to be) and no one exhibited anything towards favouritism.

HomeLAN

Altron said:
Personally, I find baseball to be incredibly dull. I don't see why baseball is the American Dream sport but soccer is 'that sport that them overseas folk play'.

Have you ever made the attempt to understand the strategy behind baseball? Makes a difference.

US attitudes toward soccer are changing, too. I personally attribute this to the fact that a lot more kids are playing soccer. That started in my generation, and more than a few of my childhood friends retained a love for soccer. Before my group, you never saw it played here. That's probably why baseball is considered the American pastime. EVERYONE played it in their youth in the past. It's all about traditions, and slowly changing them.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Altron said:
Oh, we do like football. We really like football.

Real football, you know the game where you actuall hit the ball with your feet, not carry it in your hands :p

Inkara1

AlladinSane said:
Actually, that would be like 6-0 (six touch-downs + 6 extra-points or 7 TDs right?).

You'd think that, but scoring a goal in soccer is a lot less common than scoring a touchdown in football. That's why I figured one goal is roughly the equivalent of two touchdowns.

Altron

HomeLAN said:
Have you ever made the attempt to understand the strategy behind baseball? Makes a difference.

US attitudes toward soccer are changing, too. I personally attribute this to the fact that a lot more kids are playing soccer. That started in my generation, and more than a few of my childhood friends retained a love for soccer. Before my group, you never saw it played here. That's probably why baseball is considered the American pastime. EVERYONE played it in their youth in the past. It's all about traditions, and slowly changing them.

Well, part of it is the Phillies. From what I've heard, they suck. The Eagles, OTOH, are fkin' awesome. That's why I watch football. The Eagles' Super Bowl 2005 team was great, and we got a really good defender in the draft this year. With McNabb back, we should be kickin' ass and taking names next year.

Professur

HomeLAN said:

there's similar strategy in football too. A good striker can bend the ball's trajectory just like a baseball pitcher's curveball. Or make it hang forever. Ever see the size of a football goal? Makes that little hockey net look silly by comparison. Specially with the goalie filling it up with padding. And football players don't get 45 seconds to rest between plays. Playtime is more like basketball, but on a field 10 times the size.

I suppose it all comes down to what you enjoy watching. Personally, American football reminds me more of Nascar racing than anything else. Everyone's watching it for the crashes, but after every one, you've got to endure 10 laps under the yellow.

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:

I played in high school and I'm probably ten+ (?) years older than you. My high school was small and didn't have a football team. It was always more popular in the northeast than in the rest of the country though. Played some in college too. The baseball analogy is quite apropos. I've been through part of Europe and anywhere there's more than ten square feet of empty grass there'll be kids on it kicking a ball around. They don't even really need the grass.

I've frankly always found American football a little boring. You play for 15-20 seconds then stand around for two minutes. :shrug: OTOH, when you're watching it you can make frequent trips to the fridge or the pisser without missing anything.

AlladinSane

It can be played in any empty space, covered with glass, mud or sand. You can mark the goals with 2 old shoes. Hell, some even craft a ball amassing a pile of old socks one around other. That's why it's the most popular sport in the world. It can be played even in the poorest African country.
BTW, Spain walked over Ukraine easily today: 4-0.

Professur

Jsut one suggestion. don't paint the goal on a wall like we did. We thought it was a brilliant idea, since it gave us goal height too. Right up until a rifleshot of a kick drove the goalie's head back into the wall, needing 12 stiches. Damn stucco. Goal was disallowed too.

A.B.Normal

Professur said:
Jsut one suggestion. don't paint the goal on a wall like we did. We thought it was a brilliant idea, since it gave us goal height too. Right up until a rifleshot of a kick drove the goalie's head back into the wall, needing 12 stiches. Damn stucco. Goal was disallowed too.

Ouch!!!

Bet you never played Goaltender again.

*that does explain a lot though.

Professur

I never played goals. Too short. I was always the dirty winger. Go ahead and ask what a dirty winger is.

Professur

He's the dirty bastard that sweeps in from the wings to throw a dirty tackle at the opponent's lead striker. That'll usually slow him up for the rest of the game. The dirty winger was usually the first player to see a red card.

Alternately, you'd target the other teams dirty winger. But that got ugly quick, so it was usually avoided.

Altron

It's not too hard to imagine Prof running onto a soccer field with a baseball bat and swinging it at the knees of the other team.

unclehobart

I was the keeper for my company soccer team one year. No running around... just the odd fast kick to the face once in a while... get to use your hands... easy money.