World Cup 2006...

Inkara1

SouthernN'Proud said:
IMO, soccer fields are a waste of a good baseball diamond. Gimme Babe Ruth over Pele every time.

I wouldn't call soccer a waste. You utilize the football field for football in the fall and soccer in the winter, when football's pretty much done with and the field would otherwise be sitting empty.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
I wouldn't call soccer a waste. You utilize the football field for football in the fall and soccer in the winter, when football's pretty much done with and the field would otherwise be sitting empty.
That only works if you've got the extra width.

BTW rr, the most exciting game to watch in person is lacrosse. It's not bad on TV either. Baseball is okay in person but it's like watching paint dry on TV. You can't see enough.

Inkara1

chcr said:
That only works if you've got the extra width.

BTW rr, the most exciting game to watch in person is lacrosse. It's not bad on TV either. Baseball is okay in person but it's like watching paint dry on TV. You can't see enough.

All the high school fields I've seen have that built in.

AlladinSane

Professur said:
He's the dirty bastard that sweeps in from the wings to throw a dirty tackle at the opponent's lead striker. That'll usually slow him up for the rest of the game. The dirty winger was usually the first player to see a red card.

Alternately, you'd target the other teams dirty winger. But that got ugly quick, so it was usually avoided.
I normally play as mid-back. Difference is you got to beat everyone in sight
Usually, if you hit them with your whole body that doesn't warrant you a red card in non-professional game. ;)
BTW. Germany, Ecuador and England advanced yesterday. Sweden cleans his feet at the doormat.
Poland, Costa Rica and Paraguay get the ticked home.

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
Stock car racing is tons better live than on TV. Dirt beats hell out of asphalt too.
True of any form of racing. It's also way more fun to be a participant than a spectator. I still find circle or oval racing boring myself. Road racing is much more exciting.

SouthernN'Proud said:
So who won this World Cup? Finland?
Nobody, they're not even to the elimination round yet.

Here ya go.

Edit: Note that Finland didn't qualify. Sorry, Bjorgenforgen.

rrfield

I never got into motor sports of any kind. I listen to the Indy 500 with a buddy every year (no TV, local blackout) but that's about it. I don't have anything against it, I just don't get into it, live or on TV.

favorite sports to watch live (that i've attended)
hockey, football, baseball, boxing

favorite on tv
nfl football, ncaa basketball, ncaa hockey, other non-soccer footballs (CFL, arena, aussie, rugby)

favorite to play
rugby, baseball/softball, tennis

+/- 3% margin of error. subject to change. except on the west coast.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
chcr said:
Edit: Note that Finland didn't qualify. Sorry, Bjorgenforgen.

Well damn. And Clemens pitches for Venezuela, you say? Hmm. I know Ricky Williams is playing for Canada, so that rules them out.

Does Auburn have a team in it?

AlladinSane

Venezuela didn't qualify either. Argentina humiliated Serbia and Montenegro this morning, 6-0. Rises a strong candidate to win...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well with Roger Clemens pitching for them I'm not surprised they didn't make it. He's gotta be out of shape after the long layoff.

Slim Pickens

SouthernN'Proud said:
I'll say this real slow too.

I'm....not....in...Portugal.......football.....means.......wide.....receivers......soccer.....means....twits.....not.....using....their......farkin......hands

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SouthernN'Proud again

Inkara1

So I went to Tia Juana's for some tacos for lunch today and caught the last 30 minutes or so of the Mexico-Angola game.

Hey, Luis, what was up with the Mexicans today? A 0-0 tie? They were on the offensive for almost all of the part I saw, and even after that Angolan got red-carded, the Mexicans couldn't take advantage of Angola playing a man down.

unclehobart

Their main man wasn't playing. Apparently they have one guy on the team that is teh shiz. ...bad hamstring and all that rot.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Mexicans need to have a strong opponent to play well, if the game is easy they won't try as hard as they should.

Prime example, last world cup we played extremely well against Italy but failed against the US.

Inkara1

Well, look at it this way... at least you haven't had a referee intent on giving the game away like the referee in the US-Italy game right now.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
Well, look at it this way... at least you haven't had a referee intent on giving the game away like the referee in the US-Italy game right now.
He's an idiot, isn't he?