World Cup 2006...

Inkara1

Interesting bit of trivia they showed on the TV a minute or two ago, that no team in World Cup history has ever scored when playing with only nine men.

Inkara1

OK, so we tied 1-1... time for the Americans to become humungous Italy fans. If the US beats Ghana, which suddenly looks like a tall order, we would have four points, while Ghana would still have three. Right now, the Czech Republic has three points and Italy has four. If Italy wins the game, they would have seven points and the Czechs would still have three, so the US would advance.

Inkara1

Oh, I should mention that I was 3/4 of the way done typing that when they said the same thing on TV.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Don't expect much of the italians, they will play for a tie, as it is all they need.

Inkara1

If they do that, I suggest sending a military raid over to Rome, unless we beat Ghana by four goals. Then we'd have four points, as would the Czechs. The Italians would win the group with five and Ghana would be last with three. But then that would fix our little goal differential problem. But considering we still haven't scored a goal on our own in the torunament (Italy scored our goal for us), suddenly scoring four or more is quite unlikely.

AlladinSane

It wouldn't surprise me if US beats Ghana, specially if they can open the score. African teams play better in counter-attack, and they will not have 2 important men.

Inkara1

So I went to Rubio's Burrito Bar today for lunch and watched most of the first half of Spain-Tunisia. Isn't Spain supposed to be one of the traditional soccer powers? Tunisia looked quite impressive against them.

Plus, both yellow cards I saw were deserved, especially the one against the Tunisian guy. That looked a lot like a wrestling double-leg takedown.

Inkara1

Damn... Spain probably wishes I wouldn't watch any of their soccer games now. When I left lunch to go back to work, it was halftime and Tunisia was up 1-0. the final score was Spain 3, Tunisia 1.

AlladinSane

Inkara1 said:
So I went to Rubio's Burrito Bar today for lunch and watched most of the first half of Spain-Tunisia. Isn't Spain supposed to be one of the traditional soccer powers? Tunisia looked quite impressive against them.
That's what the media try to tell us all the time. The Spanish League is one of the richest in the world so they would kill to win sometime. But fact is they never made to to the finals, they don't have a tradition as a national team. Real Madrid is the most sucessfull team in football's history, but they always relied on foreigners. Every World Cup is the same thing, they try to sell the image of a powerful Spain and even promote them to group "head", but it's always the same disapointment...

AlladinSane

Inkara1 said:
Damn... Spain probably wishes I wouldn't watch any of their soccer games now. When I left lunch to go back to work, it was halftime and Tunisia was up 1-0. the final score was Spain 3, Tunisia 1.
Dunno why, that happens to me anytime I try to watch basketball. :shrug: The side I support always lose.

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, type this into a command prompt window during a match. :nerd:

telnet diego.ascii-wm.net 2006

Note that the server gets overloaded frequently.

Professur

Scotsman places monster World Cup bet on England

Tue Jun 20, 10:30 AM ET

LONDON - A hefty World Cup bet of 40,000 pounds on England to beat Sweden on Tuesday evening has been placed at odds of 11/8 with bookmakers William Hill -- by a Scotsman.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The man stands to collect 95,000 pounds if his bet comes off," said a spokesman. "It is remarkable that the biggest bet yet placed on an England game has come from a Scottish client."

England, who have already qualified for the knockout stage of the Cup, play Sweden in the last of their round-robin group matches at 1900 GMT.

Last week a Swiss businessman made one of the largest bets ever on the World Cup, wagering 400,000 pounds with William Hill on Italy beating the United States at odds of 2/5.

When Italy took the lead last Saturday, he looked set to collect 560,000 pounds. When the U.S. equalised, he lost the lot.

Bookmakers are expecting almost 1 billion pounds to be gambled during the month-long tournament by UK punters alone, five times as much as in the 2002 World Cup

source

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
2-1 is not that bad, considering that the last 2 goals fell near half of the game.