World Cup 2006...

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
They are looking better and better every game down the stretch. They are a polished machine.
It seems like they're putting it all together at the right time. I see the Socceroos went down today. Oh well...

AlladinSane

AlladinSane said:
Brazil is not that good either, but I still think it will win over Ghana. Who score first will most likely win though.
Heh I hate being right ;). When Ronaldo scored at 5 minutes I told my co-worker: it's over for Ghana. African teams simply don't know how to play on the offensive(except Ivory Coast, a pitty they where cheated on and kicked out of the strongest group).

Sawhney89

Ghana is doing well for a country that does not even have fresh drinking water. We live in such a great world where we can achieve happiness via soccer.

AlladinSane

And Spain was just a promise... as usual... 3-1 for the French.
Next stage:
Germany x Argentina
Italy x Ukraine
England x Portugal
Brazil x France

AlladinSane

Germany 1-1 Argentina. The germans win in the penalty throws by 4-2 and send the annoying argies back home. :) It was a poor match though...
Italy is walking over Ukraine right now: 3-0

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
And the final score is Italy 3-0 Ukraine.

Semifinals: Italy vs Germany, a game that should caught interest. But a much more interesting game for semifinals would be England vs Brasil.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It seems the argentinians are not only annoying, they are also a bunch of sissy bad losers.

Germany's Torsten Frings said of the incident: "They (Argentina) are bad losers. They lost their minds."

It just shows they are bad sports and are badly behaved

Argentina's unused substitute Leandro Cufre was shown a red card for kicking Germany's Per Mertesacker in the melee. The German defender said: "They are no choirboys".

"One of their players attacked me even though I did not do anything. I have three or four red marks on my thigh and then he kicked me again in the groin."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/argentina/5135996.stm

AlladinSane

Not much as you would think, though many people will have baaad hangovers. Not England X Brasil at all. France x Portugal instead. I wil risk a bet and say Germany and France do the finals. Though I tend to support Portugal because of coach Luis Felipe Scolari, I almost wish inside that France would advance just to see one more match of Zinedine Zidane(he is retiring after the world cup).

AlladinSane

BTW I heard an interesting story about german efficiency. Before the decision by penalties against Argentina, the german staff handed the goalkeeper Lehmann, a paper containing a statistic about what side of the goal each argie player had kicked most in last years, in penalty throws. Lehmann guarded the paper in one of his socks and checked before each throw.

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Good lord! I didn't think anyone was going to be able to stop Germany.
They damn near didn't do it... what 2 minutes left in OT and they score...twice!?!?

Little Italy in Montreal went ape-shit for a few hours.

chcr

Too cute for words
The Germans have been playing over their heads the entire tournament. The corners were like 12 to 3 Italy or something like that. Clearly the Italians were attacking more. In any case, the second goal really didn't surprise me at all. You could see the air go out of the Germans after the first one. Too bad, it would have been fun to see the host team win it all.

AlladinSane

Germany got the 3rd place with a victory over Portugal yesterday: 3-1. The big final will be this afternoon: Italy vs France. Place your bets. Will Italy win its 4th Cup? Or will the french be champions the 2nd time? Personally I think the italians win, but I wish it's France.