World gone wild?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
First, The Age reports that more and more companies are avoiding Christmas, even "holiday" parties, and are instead having "functions" so as not to offend non-believers or people of different faith.

A partner at one law firm said non-Christian employees there lodged an internal complaint after carols were sung at the Christmas party last year. They said the carols were too "in-your-face," so the company said no carols this year.

Stuart Kollmorgen says it's not discriminatory to hold a Christmas party, but nor it is a good idea. He says people should get used to saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

"A more accepting and inclusive society will result," he said. "Companies don't want to upset their best employees."

And, in Melbourne, more than a dozen day-care centers said they would have to take a pass on having Santa visit the kiddies because they didn't want to offend any minority groups, reports the Sunday Mail.

One childcare center run by the Swinburne University of Technology will substitute a clown for Saint Nick. Swinburne spokeswoman Jenni Austin said Santa was not appropriate. "As a university, we have to be sensitive to the views of minority groups," she said.

But even the head of the Australian Arabic Council, Roland Jabbour, said the no-Santa ruling was going too far. "Santa's part of the Australian way of life. We don't know how such a thing could be offensive."

If you think that's stupid, read the rest here...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
What happened to the days when you could just send the little Jewish kid out in the hall and still have your christmas party?

No shit, I remember that from about 3rd grade. Always felt sorry for that little girl.

Gato_Solo

Because that makes them feel left out and unappreciated. Better to let the whole group suffer than to embarass one child.

Aunty Em

That's just politically correct bullshit! Are other religions going to give up celebrating their festivals publically so that they don't offend anyone? I doubt it! Tolerance goes both ways, I tolerate yours, you tolerate mine. :)

Gato_Solo

Aunty Em said:
That's just politically correct bullshit! Are other religions going to give up celebrating their festivals publically so that they don't offend anyone? I doubt it! Tolerance goes both ways, I tolerate yours, you tolerate mine. :)

Sorry Aunty Em, but that attitude is intolerable and offends my sensitivity. I think I'll sue you for moral degradation. ;)

Aunty Em

Gato_Solo said:
Aunty Em said:

Sorry Aunty Em, but that attitude is intolerable and offends my sensitivity. I think I'll sue you for moral degradation. ;)

The point is I'm not a Christian but I don't feel you shouldn't be able to celebrate if you want to. Fact is it gives me an excuse to put my feet up for a couple of weeks at a time of year which would be pretty dull and boring otherwise.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
For all the crap, I've yet to meet an actual, live, breathing person that was offended by X-mas. They don't all participate yet they've never asked anyone I know to stop their festivities.

If you don't like it, go sit in the Himalaya's with a polar bear (no lectures on how polar bears are only in the arctic), it's a pagan holoiday anyway, taken over by the Catholic Church.

Altron

What's next?
Are the going to ban the 4th of July because it's "discrimination against foreign countries"
Veteran's day because it is "discrimination against foriegn soldiers"
Easter because it is "discrimination against rabbits"
Why don't they just ban religion, because obiously its not "politically correct"

freako104

Aunty Em said:

aunty, there is no need for redundance. use either bullshit or PC cause PC=bullshit. :) i agree tolerance goes both ways but you know people will always find something to complain about. prolly to get their name in the damn news.