WTF is going on???

alex

I recently backed up my pst file. It was over 800mb. I had to trim down the sent items folder cause I send out a lot of large attachments to vendors to build circuit boards. Finally got it just under 650mb so it would fit on cd.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
our average .pst is 650 mb i think these guys have email from god and adam sitting in there. I tell them that once it gets ove 1 gig IT will not be responsible for lost data due to size. I also offer to burn copies onto cd for archivind purposes in hopes that they will prune before they lose. so far i go ignored. oh well when its gone ill do 1 restore and if it dies a second time i get to prune for them.

greenfreak

We go a little further than that, we tell them to save their files to the servers or we're not responsible. I don't understand why they insist on saving to C when they can save to the network and be guaranteed that their stuff is backed up and restorable if they lose it. :shrug:

I used to do emergency file recovery when a hard drive went bad, as long as I could get into DOS. But my boss told me to stop doing that because of that policy. I have to reiterate the policies for everyone, so there's no excuse of "I didn't know! No one told me!"

Pad, I send out a lot of programs, driver files and instructions too and it can get really bad. I try to detact them as soon as it's sent to cut down but I always forget. :)

Whenever I get a back and forth stream between myself and one person, I delete everything except the most recent email because it has the whole conversation in each email. That cuts down a lot too.

Stew, I believe you can only archive in Outlook, not Outlook Express. Basically, it's taking emails/calendar entries/journal entries past a certain date, removing them from your Mailbox and importing them into an external file that you save somewhere else. So if you ever want to look at them you have to load them in to your Mailbox again. I do that too and my archives are only about 50mb per year.

greenfreak

I forgot to say, I might have made some headway in figuring out the problem. My pst file is saved in my home directory on a file server. That server has been having problems lately and although there's a backup server, sometimes it doesn't pick up right away like it should. So I copied the file to a different public server to see if it helps.