WTF Xp vs. OTC and I'm losing

MrBishop

I've just upgraded my XP..via the web-site and now whenever I go to OTC, I've got missing icons, missing smilies, sometimes, I can't post...sometimes, I can't reply to PMs.

I've attached a sreenshot.
Anyone know anything about this?

MrBishop

This was the reply screen that I got back to after I posted...before, your avatar was visible..as was mine.

MrBishop

OK...NOw I know that I'm going nuts. I added OTC to the 'good guys sites' for my symantec firewall and it's working all nice again.

WTF? It wasn't bothering me before..why now?

HomeLAN

Who knows. Norton is a tool of the devil. Not the first time I've seen it screw with VB images. One of the shared DLL's probably got overwritten on your Windows update, and the setting wasn't playing nice.

MrBishop

samcurry said:
damn norton..... but i have to use it. corp thing.
Preferable to McAfee any day, any way.

I get about 30-50 attacks on my system blocked by my firewall daily. I NEED it!
Got rid of the Norton AV though...replaced it with AVG and picked up Spybot as well. They work well enough.

Got any recommendations for a freeware/shareware firewall that won't fuck up my system?

Inkara1

I've been having the same thing happen ever since I upgraded my version of IE to the latest version with the various little "improvements." It's never had trouble loading avatars, but icons pretty frequently show up with a red X. There are a few other sites it happens at. I don't have a firewall.

MrBishop

Inkara1 said:
I've been having the same thing happen ever since I upgraded my version of IE to the latest version with the various little "improvements." It's never had trouble loading avatars, but icons pretty frequently show up with a red X. There are a few other sites it happens at. I don't have a firewall.
Doesn't XP/IE have it's own firewall of sorts?

BTW..thanks for the help Sam...I'll try that firewall out

HomeLAN

MrBishop said:
Doesn't XP/IE have it's own firewall of sorts?

BTW..thanks for the help Sam...I'll try that firewall out

I know a couple people who swear by Sygate.

Personally, I run Zonealarm, but I'm also behind a hardware firewall in the router.

staffrodore

I used to use Zonealarm but had nothing but problems with it. I now use Sygate, far better,, though at times still use none bar the XP firewall.

catocom

HomeLAN said:
I know a couple people who swear by Sygate.

mark one down here, of coarse I only have one machine with xp at the moment,
and it's not my main machine.
I haven't really even done much on the xp machine either. :confused:
I haven't had any problems with folding on it though. :nerd: