WTF?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Thanks sammy. I too have had that problem at work, however I can usually tell which threads to open and which threads not to open by the title. Even though, I have been surprised a time or two.
I think the big thing with all of us upset about it is, there was no warning. I just went to see what had been said in there since last night, and it's closed. If there was a warning, I missed it. I think perhaps Unc has a really good idea, if there are people that are abusing the board, what is wrong with sending them a pm to give them a warning? Or an email?

fury said:
You guys go on and have your little spammy fun, I'll just sit back and maybe post a little if some interesting discussion pops up.

And just hope that discussion does not end up turning into a sex, goat or gay thread.

PT

Justintime said:
fury said:
You guys go on and have your little spammy fun, I'll just sit back and maybe post a little if some interesting discussion pops up.

And just hope that discussion does not end up turning into a sex, goat or gay thread.

Ok, just to clarify now, no sex, no goats, and no gays?

unclehobart

I might be able to field that, Mich.

I've had conversations with others from the outside and low posters who simply dont want to tread into a board where there is an air of a 'good old boys' club wherin the mood and humor are controlled by a small pack of 10-12. They feel that anything they say will be brushed over in lieu of 20 rapid fire fart jokes right after it. They don't want to get involved where they dont understand the players humor or direction. There is such a thing as too much giggly talk in the midst of some fairly serious attempts as discourse and idea cramming. Most posts start off as serious and decay. Three or four witicisms and wisecracks arent seen as anything more that normal human activity... but when the main question gets buried under 20 rapid jokes... non regulars quickly lose any intrest in jumping in.

All in all.. its great fun for those of us who are here 6 days a week... but it sets up a sheer wall for anyone thinking of popping onboard. We may have to chill out a bit in order to facilitate a growth mentality lest we remian a tight pack of 20 forever.

PuterTutor said:
Justintime said:
fury said:

Ok, just to clarify now, no sex, no goats, and no gays?

Just to clarify, no one fuckin said that, i only noticed alot of threads ending up that way, i never said it did'nt have any place here, if you gotta problem with fine, if you guys don't need me, just tell me and i'll gladly go.

unclehobart said:

I've had conversations with others from the outside and low posters who simply dont want to tread into a board where there is an air of a 'good old boys' club wherin the mood and humor are controlled by a small pack of 10-12. They feel that anything they say will be brushed over in lieu of 20 rapid fire fart jokes right after it. They don't want to get involved where they dont understand the players humor or direction. There is such a thing as too much giggly talk in the midst of some fairly serious attempts as discourse and idea cramming. Most posts start off as serious and decay. Three or four witicisms and wisecracks arent seen as anything more that normal human activity... but when the main question gets buried under 20 rapid jokes... non regulars quickly lose any intrest in jumping in.

All in all.. its great fun for those of us who are here 6 days a week... but it sets up a sheer wall for anyone thinking of popping onboard. We may have to chill out a bit in order to facilitate a growth mentality lest we remian a tight pack of 20 forever.

you my man, said exactly what i was thinking.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
its great fun for those of us who are here 6 days a week... but it sets up a sheer wall for anyone thinking of popping onboard. We may have to chill out a bit in order to facilitate a growth mentality lest we remian a tight pack of 20 forever
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Only, replace rapid fire fart jokes with rapid fire spamming or goat sex jokes, and replace 20 with about 40 or 50 (150 if it's a good day), and you've got OTC

unclehobart

We can talk about sex... there are ways of being solid citizens about it. We can even joke about it.. we just don't need to be doing the 'in your mama and in your hair' stuff. That gets out of hand way too quickly.

PT

unclehobart said:

Couldn't agree more, it is a hard group to break into. And I have seen us all be a little overcritical of newbies. Ok, so from this point forward, we make a greater effort to welcome new people, and try not to insult them within the first week they are here?

PT

Except for guys like hootermelots, we can still hate him, can't we?

Scanty

Hey, look - and this is if that post was directed at me, cos I'm not sure about the 'Mich' thing...

I have no fucking problem with anyone's worries about new members and what not. I feel exactly the same. I see that on many forums - where people just aren't accepted because things get too cliquey and there are too many private jokes. But goddamn it, I have been welcoming of any new poster here and anyone who takes a second to think before they post will know too how things can effect other people and curb their in-jokes appropriately.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with harmless banter going on between a few people. Not every conversation on here can include everyone at once, so there are bound to be many little quick-fire sprees, it's all part of the fun.

Just because people here indulge in silly conversations that not everyone is in on - it doesn't mean that when new posters post and they won't be welcoming and talk to them. I mean, jesus, my first ever post on this forum was a thread called Are you happy with your wash? And everyone was surprisingly accepting of such an obviously stupid and non-sensical post.

Scanty

Also...has anyone here actually been to other forums??? God, you think this one is uninviting...
This is the most friendly board I've ever been on.

(btw, I know you all have been to other forums. That was a rhetorical question.)

PT

True Scanty, but most of us also found out pretty quick that you were Mufu's lil sister, that gave you an in that alot of people don't have. I'm not accusing anyone, rather the whole group of us, myself included.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Occasional harmless banter going on between a few people, yeah

Constant hurtful banter going on between a few people that offends others and prevents new people from signing up, and even turns off some regulars, no.

Scanty, you and Psycho were the last to sign up here and actually become a regular. There have been almost 30 new sign ups since then, I don't think any of them ever hung around. That, and only God knows how many potential signups there were that saw some of the stuff that went on here and closed the browser...