Y'all come on back now, y'hear

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Things like this story in the USA Today is why people look down on the south. Make fun of Kennedy land all you want...they don't do hog-doggin up yonder.

Picture this, if you have the stomach for it.
A wild hog with blood oozing from teeth marks in its side and missing one ear rumbles out a chute and into a fenced area.

A pit bull bolts out another chute.

Stopwatches click; the cheering begins.

In seconds, the dog is gnawing on the slower animal, which is squealing in anguish and already weakened by earlier bouts.

That's the way the South Carolina attorney general and an official for the Humane Society of the United States describe "hog-dog rodeos," and they say the pig never wins.

The same hog may face eight to 10 dogs during the course of one of these events that have sprung up in the backwoods of the Deep South.

Legislatures in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina have bills in the works that would outlaw "hog dogging."

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gonz said:
Things like this story in the USA Today is why people look down on the south. Make fun of Kennedy land all you want...they don't do hog-doggin up yonder.

As shameful as stuff like this is, it's far from the reason and you know it. Been going on for purt near 450 years now, and if you think YOU can stomach it I can prove it. If not, move on, nothing to see here.

HomeLAN

Didja overlook the part where the southern states are already in the works on outlawing it?

The reason the South is derided is that folks who don't live here, have never been here, and generally can't keep their mouths shut about subjects they know NOTHING about see an easy target that their misinformed elders have always villified - and their equally ignorant neighbors are happy to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh, and Gonz - your comments just took you over the line from logical debater to the type of person I refer to above. People in other areas might not do this - but I'm betting I could show you some shit in Indiana every damned bit as disgusting.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I just noticed a mistake in my earlier post. Allow me to correct my typo.

350 years. Not 450.

I'd rather be historically accurate than politically correct, y'know.

Slim Pickens

Let's not try to compare barbaric animal practices with the Kennedy's atrocities, please

Quote:I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than riding with Ted Kennedy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:crap:

rrfield

HomeLAN said:
Didja overlook the part where the southern states are already in the works on outlawing it?

The reason the South is derided is that folks who don't live here, have never been here, and generally can't keep their mouths shut about subjects they know NOTHING about see an easy target that their misinformed elders have always villified - and their equally ignorant neighbors are happy to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh, and Gonz - your comments just took you over the line from logical debater to the type of person I refer to above. People in other areas might not do this - but I'm betting I could show you some shit in Indiana every damned bit as disgusting.

Logic flaw. Indiana wishes it were part of the south.

Slim Pickens

rrfield said:
Logic flaw. Indiana wishes it were part of the south.

Yeah, so do LOTS of places, but we won't take 'em

All unrepentant Yankees will be subjected to severe emotional, verbal, and physical abuse...signed, THE FAT BROTHERS

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:

When stories about Indiana come out equal to this I'll also make fun of them. My point is not flawed. Historically, incidents like this have not come from Vermont but from Kentucky. Seldom in Minnesota, often in North Carolina. Wanna bet there are more cockfights in Georgia than Michigan? That's is not saying these things do not exist outside the south. It is saying they are far more prevalent there & it adds to the whole hick culture mythology.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Skip it. You're not interested in true reality.

Seems you're the one not willing to look. I'm not disparaging the south. That would be the south doing that. Which is the point of the thread. It's hard to overcome years of prejudice when the things for which you're laughed at keep occuring.

As for your article...
state and federal laws that we found are being broken in Kentucky
illegal cockfights were once a closely guarded secret in Kentucky, but now they're advertised, publicized, and undisguised.
hundreds of people came to Kentucky from as close as Tennessee and as far away as Michigan
Kentucky Game Fowl Breeders Association (KGFBA) is advertising its cockfighting derbies across the nation in magazines
Cockfighting is a misdemeanor in Kentucky, punishable by up to a year in jail, and a $500 fine

That's is not saying these things do not exist outside the south. It is saying they are far more prevalent there & it adds to the whole hick culture mythology.

HomeLAN

I dispute that it's really more prevalent here. I think it's an issue in rural counties all over America. You're the one asserting that's it's a "southern thing". Not only are you doing your little part to continue the stereotype, but you're flat-assed WRONG as well.

HomeLAN

The trial begins today for the man accused of organizing a cockfighting ring. James Standifer will be in court today to face charges of cruelty to animals.

In June, animal control officers took 150 roosters away from his farm in Three Oaks, Michigan. All but 26 of the roosters that police found belonged to Standifer. All 150 of the birds had to be euthanized.

Police say the farm was the sight of a "large-scale" cock fighting operation. Along with animal cruelty charges, prosecutors want him to pick up the $2,000 it cost to take care of the roosters.

Southe Bend, about a Michigan farm

About two years ago, the San Diego Humane Society and SPCA (SDHS) received reports of a large cockfighting operation on 20 acres of land near the Mexican border. Acting on the anonymous tips, the organization began surveillance of the area and discovered that the land was divided into 22 different properties that had been fenced off by individual owners. At first, the district attorney told humane society officers they needed an individual search warrant for each property; however, after producing tangible evidence of the bloodsport events, investigators were allowed to search the entire property under one warrant last spring. The search resulted in what is presumed to be the largest bust of a cockfighting circle in the history of the United States: More than 2,500 fighting cocks were found on the property by an investigating team that also included officials from The HSUS, the Galt (California) Police Department, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, San Diego County Animal Control, the San Diego Police Department vice squad, and the spcaLA.

Southern Cal

The small, unassuming barn sits just below the horizon from Interstate 5, about 10 miles north of Eugene in Junction City, Ore. Since the beginning of the year, the Lane County vice squad has been snooping around the building. The barn's owner, Hector Santiago, allegedly purchased the barn for tens of thousands of dollars, cash on the barrel. It was suspicious; Santiago had connections with meth producers and drug runners. His lover's brother was reputed to be one of the top meth lords in the Willamette Valley.

At about 7 in the morning in late January, as darkness faded into a winter gray, a dozen officers stormed the barn. They expected to find a web of tubing, beakers and other meth-producing paraphernalia, but what they discovered was far more alarming. Except for a large, square mound of dirt ringed by ropes, the barn was nearly empty. But the cavernous interior of the barn was alive with squawking. Along the walls were nearly 30 metal cages, each stuffed with robust game hens.

Oregon, where raising fighting roosters is legal.

Fuckin' Southern rednecks.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
I dispute that it's really more prevalent here. I think it's an issue in rural counties all over America.

Yea, it's probably a rural thing more than a regional thing but, as I'm trying to point out, these stories are far more likely to contain Louisiana or Kentucky or Alabama than N Dakota, Montana or Maine. You should have seen the picture accompanying the story in the paper, it's reminiscent of Deliverance.

Can't blame that entirely on the media...not all stories are generated form Boston.

HomeLAN

Actually, no. Increasingly, they're far likely to include any area very close to a Mexican border. I notice, though, that no one trots out the Mexican stereotypes when that happens. Perhaps that' because no one covers it in So Cal. Not as easy or as much fun as poking fun at Southerners, I guess.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
I notice, though, that no one trots out the Mexican stereotypes when that happens. Not as easy or as much fun as poking fun at Southerners, I guess.

Yes, it is becoming more popular because of the growing Mexican population. However, this story wasn't about Mexicans, it was about South Carolina. I saw it & thought it was the kind of thing that perpetuates the stereotype but since it wasn't a work of fiction, it's the people of the south perpetuating the stereotypes.

Much like racial profiling...it may suck but as long as it's resulting in gaining the objextive, it shall remain alive.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Yea, it's probably a rural thing more than a regional thing but,
I have a feeling that it's simply that humankind in general when left to their own devices really really really SUCK.

highwayman

Gonz said:
Make fun of Kennedy land all you want...

I'll make fun of Kennedy all day long, that fat porker should be run out of town.. In fact the release uses the wrong ainimal for bait in the dog pin.

On another note this type of thing has been going on for centuries, not necessarily with dogs but with other animals. I have been several cock fights when I was stationed on Guam and it's interesing what is done to the looser.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Anytime you're ready, Gonz. Any time.

The practice of hating the South predates the Declaration of Independence. If you want to blame it on a cockfight, I hear they're taking new residents in Oakland. It has permeated the media, the textbooks, and the legislation for 350 years, longer than any chicken lives anywhere.