Yet another networking problem

chcr

Too cute for words
First, the setup: I have a WAN through a Motorola router to 14 remote locations. We run SCO UNIX and DEC terminals over this network (56K per locations, split form a T-1), but it has access to the internet through a firewall and password. I am rolling out PCs to each location, no problem. We have a sort of mega-manager who oversees all the stores. He has a Dell laptop with XP Pro. When I connect PCs, it seems to make little or no difference to the speed, but when the laptop is plugged into the network at any location, that locations terminals slow to a crawl. If he unplugs, they go back to normal. I have not personally observed this problem, and the person involved is hardly the sharpest pencil in the box, but I asked a lot of questions and am therefore reasonably confident of my description of the problem. Any ideas????
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mirlyn

I'm in a 2k environment right now, but there is a way in XP to disable its automatic network-searcher-thingy. When XP starts up (and occasionally when running) it scans the network and tries to make a list of peered systems and their respective shares, if any. This list appears when you double click on Network Places. Like I said, somewhere there's a way to disable this (which cuts network traffic). Don't know if thats whats causing the problem, but worth a try.

Do you have access to his laptop? Do a virus scan on it (boot from a CD with the latest definitions, don't use whatever he has on it (if anything)). Try putting ZoneAlarm or something similar on it and see what happens (is anything trying to get in or trying to get out). Might also be a worm scanning the network either from his system or from another. Try "netstat -a" on his laptop when he's connected and see what you find out.

I'll find someone who's not in their office and check on their XP system to see where exactly that setting is. :evilcool: Will post later, if needed.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Make sure "Offline Files" isn't enabled too, it will try to make a mirror copy of any shared files on the network locally. It can take hours to transfer them all, and will fill the hard drive up quickly.

chcr

Too cute for words
Thanks, guys. Aunty, it's not a windows network. PT, there aren't any shares on his subnet, but it could be looking for them anyway. Mirlyn, next time he's in the office I'll check that out. I know he gets online at home, so that's a distinct possiblity. Thanks again.

Aunty Em

OOPS! Sorry, I was just scanning and missed the part about UNIX... similar problem though perhaps? :)