yo, squig...

unclehobart

I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned it; perhaps I just never saw it. Could you give us the who what where and why you have a frankenspine right now? I saw the xray and it freaked me out.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Nothing exciting...In fact, I'm not sure when or how the original injury occurred. The surgery was made neccessary by reinjuring it at work. I was wrestling with a 700 pound bale of fiber ( I was a machine operator at a non-woven textile plant )and the disks gave out completely, pinching a bunch of nerves and introducing me to a new pain threshold. The bad part is, I took the mri to company medical and told them I had to have surgery and they were in agreement after looking at the films. Then, two days later, they called me at home and told me I was laid off and my insurance was terminated. I spent a year writhing in pain before they finally accepted responsibility and allowed me to get medical attention. I should be settling the whole thing soon...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Bastards. I hope they are going to end up compensating you for the last year as well.

halamikage

Jerks! Same thing happened to my cousin after he got into a terrible accident. He was the bus driver. Then a few days later (even after finding that my cousin wasn't at fault), while he was going through surgery after surgery they called the cousin-in-law and said that they were yanking the medical from him......bastards!!! It still pisses me off. :grumpy: :grumpy:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Something similar happened to my fiancee, but I got her a lawyer the day before they fired her. Now she's getting worker's comp, and the company is facing a rather large lawsuit...Gotta love the USA's business practices... :rolleyes:

Aunty Em

Aren't there laws preventing them from doing that, it shouldn't be necessary for people to have that added hassle on top of their injuries.

Ardsgaine

Weird. When I broke my arm, Worker's Comp covered it and paid me part of my salary while I sat at home waiting for it to heal. That, even though I as much as told the guy who came out to interview me that it was my own stupid fault.:eh:

unclehobart

A broken arm is fairly simple and can be expected to heal with only about 1000$ worth of attention. The other accidents that deal with major surgery and nerves and all manner of hidden shockers can run into tens of thousands if not over 100,000 in potential payouts. Sometimes companies think that hiring lawyers and playing 'head in the sand' outlast games is the lesser damage in the long run.

PT

Ardsgaine said:
Weird. When I broke my arm, Worker's Comp covered it and paid me part of my salary while I sat at home waiting for it to heal. That, even though I as much as told the guy who came out to interview me that it was my own stupid fault.:eh:

You also had a decent Boss or Company.

Ardsgaine

unclehobart said:
A broken arm is fairly simple and can be expected to heal with only about 1000$ worth of attention. The other accidents that deal with major surgery and nerves and all manner of hidden shockers can run into tens of thousands if not over 100,000 in potential payouts. Sometimes companies think that hiring lawyers and playing 'head in the sand' outlast games is the lesser damage in the long run.

It cost them more than that. I had to have surgery and rehab, and just the salary for three months came to over $1000. Still, your point is well taken. At the end of the three months they sent me a letter saying that they figured I was X% disabled, and gave me some small payment to "compensate" me. Since I didn't figure I was disabled at all, it was just bonus money. I don't imagine Squig will be able to work again with all that hardware in his back-- certainly he won't be able to manhandle 700lb bags of fibre. He'll probably be on full disability. :(

freako104

perhaps someone can clear this up for me as the jobs ive had and currently have all have said: "if you are injured on the job you should be able to get some kind of workmans comp" why the hell did Hals cousin and gatos fiancee both get rejected for it? can you sue for that?

PT

I work for the Dept Of Labor in Missouri, the rules are this. If you are hurt on the job, performing duties that are assigned to you, and are not under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, you are entitled to Workers Comp benefits. The sad part is that some employers have a great deal of influence over employees, encouraging them not to turn claims in immediatly, which can be a real problem down the road should the employer decide to fire you. The other kicker is that often an employer can prove that what the person was doing was violating some type of safety rule, and can fire the employee for violating that rule, even though it is something that is common practice at the place of employment. Something like Squiggy wrestling with a 700 lb bale of fiber, although I'm sure it's done daily, there is probably a rule about not doing it somewhere in the operations manual.

Ardsgaine

PuterTutor said:
The other kicker is that often an employer can prove that what the person was doing was violating some type of safety rule, and can fire the employee for violating that rule, even though it is something that is common practice at the place of employment.

Yeah, I don't think there was any OSHA approved method for getting up into that skylight I fell out of. On the other hand, there were better ways than the one I chose. But on the other hand, it would've worked alright if all four wheels on the scaffold had had functioning wheel locks. But then, on the other hand, I knew that they weren't working and I could have just taken them off so it wouldn't roll.

I've seen a lot of fucked up set ups on the job. People will throw together anything to stand on just so they can get the job done. If it works, it's called taking the initiative. If it ends up in an accident, it's called being stupid. The day I busted my arm I thought I was taking the intitiative, but it turned out I was being stupid.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
No ku'u, no luck yet... :( ...Looks like its going to get physical... or legal....or both. I'm not really up to this . Maybe I'll just move out myself and let them fall on their faces. Its quite confusing when push comes to shove. Twice as sad. But after two years of virtual immobility, I want my life back. The thought of it costing me my family has me really depressed. *reaches for the Enditols*

They are 22 and 20, unc. The yougest carries his own weight but goes along with whatever his brother tells him...I don't like the idea of leaving because I think the oldest will just start abusing the youngest. But, If I do anything against the oldest, the yougest will hate me anyway....I don't know what to do yet, but it'll happen soon.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
They tell their sister to butt out and their mother will do anything to not have to deal with it...We had a family "intervention" over this during the summer. The oldest lied his ass off to make everyone think he would change and then drifted back to his normal self...

PT

Where you at Squig? You need a couple of guys to rough em up a little, I'd be glad to help out.