You'd expect a judge

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
Are there any other unwritten rules we should know about?
Yep...It's in the Judge's Code of Louisiana...He basically disparaged the office he held.

unclehobart

Such things only seem to apply to people a touch down on the food chain. The people at the head of the line are usually bulletproof for misconduct and criminal activity.

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
WWLT news story.

Thoughtless? Yea. Stupid? Probably...Disparaging? Can anybody say "White Chicks"?

How PC need we be?

I, for one, decided that the movie "White Chicks" wasn't worth my dollars before it even came out...and not just because it was racist in it's premis, either. ;)

As for the Judge...he had a code of ethics to follow wneh he took office, and, according to the article, he broke the code. He knew beforehand what was in the code, and swore to uphold that code. How would you deal with that?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I would deal with his actions by realizing it was a costume party & sometimes people are just idiotic in their choices. I also thought that Ted Danson did nothing wrong.

IF this party was an official state function, his actions can be considered. If it was a private function & nobody was injured by his choice, then I'd say point & laugh at the dumb SOB & drop it. Unfortunately, in our PC climate, the minute a TV/radio/newspaper reporter got ahold of it, it may have become more than it ever was, due to their "influence".

Winky

"it was a private function & nobody was injured by his choice"

Where are the international sanctions and condemnation over Robert Mugabes white farm annexation.

unclehobart

I have no problem with what he did as it was just a reenactment of old 20s-30s cinema Keystone cops stuff. I'm sure that he meant the whole criminal aspect merely as a reflection against his profession. It was all quite tounge and cheek.

Now if he went in something unfunny and outright polar like a KKK cloak...

Gato_Solo

Same thing I say when I hear of somebody whining about their rights being violated when something they don't like comes up.

1. You read the contract, or took the oath.
2. You knew the rules.
3. You broke the rules.

How much more plain can it get. It's not all that difficult to understand.

unclehobart

'Disparaging the office' isn't a cut and dried item like 'don't drive over 55mph on the highway'. Its a fast and loose thing like 'don't be a dick'. Such things are in the eyes of the beholder. Under such a rule it would seem plausible that they could have disbarred him for wearing a polyester shirt.

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:
'Disparaging the office' isn't a cut and dried item like 'don't drive over 55mph on the highway'. Its a fast and loose thing like 'don't be a dick'. Such things are in the eyes of the beholder. Under such a rule it would seem plausible that they could have disbarred him for wearing a polyester shirt.

Sounds like a good reason to me, as well. Especially in this cold, and dry, climate, which makes it entirely possible to shock someone without knowing...

Back to the main topic. Halloween party, or not, he should've known that somebody would be offended for his weraing blackface. As I said before...look what happened to Ted Danson? This is why...

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
We's either free or we isn't.

And when we sign a contract, or take an oath, that has that kind of gray area, it's supposed to mean that we're intelligent enough to know that some things are virulently offensive, and that any behavior approaching said things can be construed as an attack. See your reference to the movie "White Chicks"

Also...while you're at it, ask yourself why Joan Baez also gets a free pass...

Check out a true racist...I'm sure some of you will jump to defend her, but, sorry, the worst kind of racist is a person who believes that they can say, or do, anything offensive they like, and then try to pass it off as a joke. :rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato, I do not support these people in their actions. I do not believe what they are doing is terribly funny or thoughtful.

I do believe they have the legal & moral right to do these things. I watch the entertainers (comics mostly) on BET & my guesstimate is 95% of them make racist jokes about other races. So what. If & when I get offended, off the channel goes. Since this judge was not at an official function & his actions are clearly in contrast to his disposition, it may simply fall under freedom to be stupid.

dishonoring his position
I do not agree with the LA Supreme Court.

Why? Because it's a "1984" moment.
Nevertheless, they ordered him to take a sociology course "which will assist him in achieving a greater understanding of racial sensitivity."

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Gato, I do not support these people in their actions. I do not believe what they are doing is terribly funny or thoughtful.

I do believe they have the legal & moral right to do these things. I watch the entertainers (comics mostly) on BET & my guesstimate is 95% of them make racist jokes about other races. So what. If & when I get offended, off the channel goes. Since this judge was not at an official function & his actions are clearly in contrast to his disposition, it may simply fall under freedom to be stupid.

I do not agree with the LA Supreme Court.

Why? Because it's a "1984" moment.

Hate to disagree with you, but this falls under the heading of personal responsibility. If he didn't know that acting like this was stupid, he should've...and unlike BET, this guy is not an entertainer. He literally holds the power of life and death, or incarceration and freedom, over everybody who comes through his courtroom once the jury speaks...and you can't change the channel. He has a vested interest in keeping his slate clean, and he fouled himself with this incident. I agree that classes are not the answer, but everything else is fair game.