YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDER

Dave

I CANT HEAR A THING. JUST GOT HOME FROM SEEING THE CULT IN A FAIRLY SMALL CLUB. I KNOW I'M GETTING OLD NOW CAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO LOUD.
THEY WERE SELLING CD'S OF THE SHOW THERE. RECORDED IT DURING THE SHOW AND PICKED IT UP ON THE WAY OUT. SOUNDED PRETTY GOOD THOUGH I'LL HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN IN A DAY OR TWO WHEN THE RINGING STOPS.

Inkara1

My ears were like that after the last Metallica concert I went to... and my knee hurt for a while afterwards too.

Aunty Em

Personally I dunno why young people go to concerts... they're definately designed for the elderly... must be great to be able to hear the band without a hearing aid for once...

tonksy

I saw The Cult with Metallica when I was....in high school. Very good show. Was the original singer with them? His name elludes me but I heard he was with that Doors revival band.

unclehobart

That happend to me after every show since I was in the band. It kinda sucks being 6 feet from the speaker stacks.

Dave

singers name is Ian Astbury and he was with the band on this tour. the guy has no stage prescence whatsoever. sounded like a high school kid/cliche rock star everytime he started talking.

wanted to wear earplugs, but forgot them.

tonksy

Spot said:
singers name is Ian Astbury and he was with the band on this tour. the guy has no stage prescence whatsoever. sounded like a high school kid/cliche rock star everytime he started talking.

wanted to wear earplugs, but forgot them.
Yeah, Yeah...that's him.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
LOVE the Cult. Billy Duffy is one of the more overlooked rock guitarists ever. Ian Astbury always struck me as something of an overblown prick anyway. They should have got the singer from Circus Of Power, Alex Mitchell, to play Morrison. He sounds more like him than Astbury does which is saying something.

Dave

Duff was awesome.

the only major downsides were the show started 1.5 hours late and it was general admission. we were crammed in like sardines.

Uki Chick

I felt the same way after the Motorhead show! My ears were ringing for a couple of days, but yet I was fine after the Priest show!

AlphaTroll

Was the line-up of the concert I went to on Saturday 18/03/2006:

The lineup

SUPERSPORT PARK, CENTURION
THE ROCK STAGE (15-30 minute changeovers)
12:00 Flat Stanley
Karen Zoid
State Far Better
The Finkelstiens
Arno Carstens
Prime Circle
Simple Plan
The Rasmus
Seether
Collective Soul
Metallica
The Parlotones

THE ELECTRONICA STAGE (15-20 minute changeovers)
18:00 Roger Goode
Stereo MCs
Audio Bullys
Fatboy Slim
Flash Republic

AlphaTroll

Dave said:
so how was it?

You want the long or the short of it?

Organisation of the event was absolutely fucked up - concert sponsored by Coca-Cola & they run out of coke before 16H00 at an event scheduled to run from 12h00 - 24h00? With only 4 drinks stalls to serve more than 45 000 people? I can go on ranting about the shitty organisation for hours.

But the bands were awesome. Not sure if Fat Boy Slim even got so much as 1000 people in front of him when he played - was on at the same time as Metallica - the choice between the two an absolute no-brainer. Of all of the bands Metallica was the absolute best.

I was pleasantly surprised with The Rasmus - thought they only had that one song out and was completely amazed that they had more and did such a good show.

Simple Plan was quite boring IMO - zero stage presence to speak of.

Collective Soul were, well, Collective Soul. I like their music, but would never have gone to a concert just for them.