33 Pastors Flout Tax Law With Political Sermons

spike

Time for these churches to lose their tax exempt status and get a nice audit. Show them some respect for the law.

CROWN POINT, Ind., Sept. 28 -- Defying a federal law that prohibits U.S. clergy from endorsing political candidates from the pulpit, an evangelical Christian minister told his congregation Sunday that voting for Sen. Barack Obama would be evidence of "severe moral schizophrenia."

The Rev. Ron Johnson Jr. told worshipers that the Democratic presidential nominee's positions on abortion and gay partnerships exist "in direct opposition to God's truth as He has revealed it in the Scriptures." Johnson showed slides contrasting the candidates' views but stopped short of endorsing Obama's Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain.

Johnson and 32 other pastors across the country set out Sunday to break the rules, hoping to generate a legal battle that will prompt federal courts to throw out a 54-year-old ban on political endorsements by tax-exempt houses of worship.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/28/AR2008092802365.html

Churches should have lost their tax-exempt status years ago. They've been political organs since Reagan.

Churches should have lost their tax-exempt status years ago. They've been political organs since Reagan.

A long time before that. You do know that the Pope is a head of State, and technically still Emperor of Europe.

Johnson and 32 other pastors across the country set out Sunday to break the rules, hoping to generate a legal battle that will prompt federal courts to throw out a 54-year-old ban on political endorsements by tax-exempt houses of worship.

Yes, these ought to lose thier status. However, are you not giving them exactly what they want? A court battle has one drawback...jurors.

but obamas preacher can make all the political statements he wnats to, right? I smell sour grapes.

nope, politics has No place in Any church.
People call themselves reverends, and preachers when they are not.
Some are just plain trouble makers. The worst kind.

Anyone that doesn't question their 'real' preacher every once in a while, is not
being a diligent Christian in my belief.

That's one thing I had against Falwell.

Back