a christmas contest

kuulani

here's my idea ... let's have a christmas lights contest. do people in your neighborhood still decorate the exterior of their homes with lights & fake reindeers, etc?

well, i propose we go around & take pictures of these festive houses & give out awards for:

"Most Tackiest"
"Most Festive"
"Most Lights"
etc ...

I'll probably be taking the kiddies driving around this weekend to look at the lights. I'll be sure to take my camera :santabng:

We have a house in our neighborhood that we call the Griswold house. But it is even moer coloful and obnoxious. I am not sure my digi cam will be here in time, but they put a pic of it in the community newspaper every year so I can scan it from there I'm sure.

Sheeeeeeeit... You've already lost. Noone beats the south for tacky overkill. I'd lay even money that either Catocom or SnP can get a photo of a display beyond the pale without even driving more than a quarter mile.

unclehobart said:
Sheeeeeeeit... You've already lost. Noone beats the south for tacky overkill. I'd lay even money that either Catocom or SnP can get a photo of a display beyond the pale without even driving more than a quarter mile.

I will take that bet. If I can get a picture of what is locally called "The Bug House", you will see a very tacky "home" indeed. Bizarrely so. On top of it the owner keeps it up year-round, lights and all. He even has decorations and lights on his van in front of the house.

Cheers,

- DFisherman

unclehobart said:

:lol:

I didn't say I would win. :D I am sure the south will pull out a winner for the Tackiest. :D

I would have to drive 200 miles to the south to find the best places. Out there the houses are as bright as Las Vegas, confuse aircraft, and light pollute the very stars from the sky. The nuke plant that services the area has to kick up a few extra turbines to keep up with demand.

I'll try to get my mom to go on a light hunting night with me and get some pics :D

unclehobart said:
Sheeeeeeit... All I have to do is walk outside.

Theres this one house down here, and they have all those blow up thingys, MAN, cant even see the house-how tacky it looks!!!!! :alienhuh:

How about a pic of several blocks where houses have no christmas lights at all? :D :D

unclehobart said:

Umm...Hobie? (May I call you Hobie? No? Oh, sorry...) I gotta drive more than that to just get to the next house.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Should I be offended by this statement? :devious:

Not at all. The south jsut has a tendency to really make Christams throw up on thier porch.

Just like in Colorado we tend to have lots of hairy legged (and everything else) women running around preaching about the benefits of soy and granola.

I have a bunch of pictures of lights in Montreal here:

http://camelyn.glowingfields.com/lights/

Also, there are some really nice ones in the following folder, like this one, that show downtown Montreal: http://camelyn.glowingfields.com/05dec/pic 313.jpg

http://camelyn.glowingfields.com/05dec/

Pictures 161-208: The CP Rail Christmas train that travels across canada and the us raising money for charity

Pictures 275-313: Downtown Montreal

Bandwidth warning for you dial-up people: These are full sized pictures because I was too lazy to re-size :D

The blowups tend to blow over here. Seriously, more than half of the ones I've seen are flat or sideways from our typical winds. Anyone in NW Indiana with blowups, beware!

More Frostys on thin ice

Hobart detectives couldn't help but make light of the theft of an inflatable Frosty the Snowman, a crime also being investigated in Merrillville.

A detective disguised his voice during a phone conversation with Hobart Lt. Leo Finnerty and said Frosty would be a goner if certain guidelines were not met, Hobart Police Chief Brian Snedecor said.

Inflatable Frostys were stolen from a Hobart candy factory and from outside two Merrillville homes, and police said they have no leads.

Merrillville police Operations Cmdr. Mark Gregoline said Wednesday that he received a call from a resident of the 9900 block of Randolph Street who said an 8-foot inflatable snowman had been stolen from his front yard.

Gregoline said this most recent theft is just a short distance from one reported to police Sunday by a resident in the 9800 block of Randolph. Resident Drew Fabian reported in that incident that his 12-foot inflatable snowman and air pump were taken from his front yard last weekend. The value of the snowman is $100, Gregoline said.

Gregoline said he is aware of the theft of a 12-foot inflatable snowman from the front of Albanese Candy Factory and Outlet Store on U.S. 30 in Hobart. He said the three thefts may be connected.

"I will be talking to Hobart police to see if they have any leads," he said.

Larry Albanese, the candy store's regional sales manager, said he is offering a $50 gift tray and a 20-second shopping spree as a reward for the safe return of the 12-foot snowman.

Surveillance cameras recorded a man struggling to shove the store's prop into the cab of his Ford Ranger at 11 p.m. Sunday. A copy of the surveillance tape has been turned over to police.

Although the original hasn't been returned, a representative of Fifth Third Bank in Chicago replaced Albanese's stolen Frosty on Wednesday.

"It's a replacement one, it's not the original," Albanese said. "We are going to leave a spot for the original one while we wait for Frosty's return."

Source

SouthernN'Proud said:
Umm...Hobie? (May I call you Hobie? No? Oh, sorry...) I gotta drive more than that to just get to the next house.
I've heard Hobie before. Its been 7 or 8 years... but its one of the given variants.

Back