A decent ruling

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Chief Justice Roberts said:
"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race,"

Finally, someone who gets it.

WASHINGTON - A half-century after the Supreme Court outlawed segregated schools, sharply divided justices clamped new limits Thursday on local school efforts to make sure children of different races share classrooms.

ADVERTISEMENT

The court voted 5-4 to strike down school integration plans in Louisville, Ky., and Seattle, a decision that imperiled similar plans that hundreds of cities and counties use voluntarily to integrate their schools.

The ruling does not affect several hundred other public school districts that remain under federal court order to desegregate.

Justices disagreed bluntly with each other in 169 pages of written opinions on whether the decision supports or betrays the landmark Brown v. Board of Education ruling that led to the end of state-sponsored school segregation in the United States.

The 5-4 decision, the 24th such split this term, displayed the new dominance of the court's aggressive conservative majority. The four liberal justices dissented.

source

5-4 splits always scare me though. It just means that a similar suit will be refiled as soon as a new justice makes it to the court.

I propose a new law. Anyone losing an appeal to the Supreme court is to be immediately taken out and shot. Twice. In the head. Preferrably through each eye.

I propose a new law. Anyone losing an appeal to the Supreme court is to be immediately taken out and shot. Twice. In the head. Preferrably through each eye.

At what point in history would you have instituted a loser dies system? ...pre Dred Scott?... or only in the modern era when they've been doing stuff we remotely can relate to?

At what point in history would you have instituted a loser dies system? ...pre Dred Scott?... or only in the modern era when they've been doing stuff we remotely can relate to?

Modern era, of course. Starting from...say...1970.

nah.. it would have to be in tandem with the reinstatement of the death penalty. We were woefully without in 1970.

Back