A new twist...

What's new about it? That Laturno chick or however it's spelled married her victim. It's just bigger news when the teacher is male and the student is female.

SouthernN'Proud said:
What's new about it? That Laturno chick or however it's spelled married her victim. It's just bigger news when the teacher is male and the student is female.

The age of the student...;)

That only explains the specific statute she was indicted under. Texas' legal age of consent is 17. More than a few 17 year olds are still in high school. The legislators obviously saw a potential legal nightmare when (not if) something like this happened, so they created this statute to take care of student/teacher tomfoolery. Had the 18 year old already graduated, or had this slut been a plumber instead of a teacher, no law broken AFAIK.

SouthernN'Proud said:
That only explains the specific statute she was indicted under. Texas' legal age of consent is 17. More than a few 17 year olds are still in high school. The legislators obviously saw a potential legal nightmare when (not if) something like this happened, so they created this statute to take care of student/teacher tomfoolery. Had the 18 year old already graduated, or had this slut been a plumber instead of a teacher, no law broken AFAIK.

So now there's a situation where you have 2 consenting adults having sex, and one gets arrested(the student was 18 when this was going on). The Texas statute says student, though. Admittedly, the teacher should've known better, as the law was written in 2003, but this is no longer a child. :shrug:

Not a child, but still a student.

Look at it from the standpoint of no such law on the books. Every 17 year old slut could legally screw his/her way through school.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Not a child, but still a student.

Look at it from the standpoint of no such law on the books. Every 17 year old slut could legally screw his/her way through school.

I agree, but only to the point of adulthood. Age of consent should not be a problem when both parties are 18 and over. That's what makes this case different from the others. They were both adults.

Gato_Solo said:
I agree, but only to the point of adulthood. Age of consent should not be a problem when both parties are 18 and over. That's what makes this case different from the others. They were both adults.

There is also that fact of Authority figure ,the same would apply to management not dating anyone in there dept,regardless of the underlings age.

A.B.Normal said:
There is also that fact of Authority figure ,the same would apply to management not dating anyone in there dept,regardless of the underlings age.

But you won't have a sentence of 20 years (max) if you're banging the secretarial pool/engineering intern/janitor, either. If she'd only gotten fired, I wouldn't have cared one way or the other.

Not having a personal stake in the case, I don't really care if some former beauty queen turned teacher in Texas bangs an 18 year old student, or if she gets jail time for doing it.

It is the law of the land there. Someone somewhere at some time saw a need to introduce the bill, and enough people saw fit to make it law. I am reasonably certain that at some point in her orientation she was informed that bagging a student was illegal and not that great an idea. Hence, it comes down to the old saw of personal responsibility. She saw fit to color outside the lines. She got caught. She is subject to prosecution, and the legal penalty for her actions. If the people of the State of Texas are upset about it, they can petition their legislators to amend or repeal the law.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Not having a personal stake in the case, I don't really care if some former beauty queen turned teacher in Texas bangs an 18 year old student, or if she gets jail time for doing it.

It is the law of the land there. Someone somewhere at some time saw a need to introduce the bill, and enough people saw fit to make it law. I am reasonably certain that at some point in her orientation she was informed that bagging a student was illegal and not that great an idea. Hence, it comes down to the old saw of personal responsibility. She saw fit to color outside the lines. She got caught. She is subject to prosecution, and the legal penalty for her actions. If the people of the State of Texas are upset about it, they can petition their legislators to amend or repeal the law.

True...but I just think it's a little harsh is all.

She shouldn't be prosecuted...the victim is an adult. Should, however, be fired for sex with a student. She still holds a position of power.

Professur said:
Did they suddenly change the penaties in her case?

No. I only stated the maximum penalty, which is 20 years. They always had rules about intimate contact between teachers and students, but there was no penalty for it before 2003. Since then, it has become a criminal offense with a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail.

0602amy.jpg

I'd do her.

Gato_Solo said:
No. I only stated the maximum penalty, which is 20 years. They always had rules about intimate contact between teachers and students, but there was no penalty for it before 2003. Since then, it has become a criminal offense with a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail.

And her crime was comitted since then?

Back