a question about choosing a Pink Floyd song

BlurOfSerenity

i'm making a mix cd for a friend of bands i like, and i'm making it a rule to only put two songs by each artist on it. this has presented me with some challenges, as there are some bands that is REALLY hard to do with.
such as pink floyd.
i have no idea which album i'm going to take the other song from, but i definitely want one from dark side of the moon.

I
CANT
CHOOSE.

so.... which song from dark side of the moon would you put on a mix cd that is for the purpose of getting a friend into them?

DSOTM is one of those albums that isn't meant to be divided into tracks, so no idea.

As for the second track, I would probably go for one of:
The Gunner's Dream (The Final Cut)
or
Cymbaline (Ummagumma)
or
Yet Another Movie (A Momentary Lapse of Reason)
or
Have a Cigar (Wish You Were Here)
or
Another Brick In The Wall (The Wall)
or
Echoes (Meddle)
or
Brain Damage (Us And Them [Symphonic])
or
A Great Day For Freedom (The Division Bell)

not that it narrowed it down much, you should make it maximum of two songs per album, not per artist. That's feasible.

Instellar Overdrive from Piper at the Gates of Dawn. As for the other, I'd suggets getting away from DSOTM. I'd take Dogs from Animals.

Debatable, at the very least. My own choice would be the sequence of Nobody Home through Vera off of The Wall, closely followed by the entire fucking Animals album, but neither of those choices fits too well on a compilation album like ash is putting together.

I'm partial to the entire Wish You Were Here album. They're actually too electronic for my tastes (gimme a drum & a couple of guitars & life is happenin') but that album is just outstanding.

HomeLAN said:
Debatable, at the very least. My own choice would be the sequence of Nobody Home through Vera off of The Wall, closely followed by the entire fucking Animals album, but neither of those choices fits too well on a compilation album like ash is putting together.

its sad that a lot of people treat that album like a redheaded stepchild. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

Like Altron said, the songs are meant to flow into each other so as far as my personal favorite from DSOTM it's Breathe-Time-Breathe Reprise. The lyrics mean more the older I get. They will to you too. :)

Wish You Were Here is another great song along with Shine on You Crazy Diamond. From Momentary Lapse of Reason, I like Dogs of War and One Slip. From The Wall, Comfortably Numb or Hey You.
Of all the vinyl I stole from my brother when I was a kid, the only albums I never gave back were DSOTM and The Wall. MLOR was my first concert in '88. Saw them again in '93 at Yankee Stadium. They rule.

Seamus from Meddle, or Echoes
Second the Sheep motion from Animals
Mother from The Wall
Pretty much anything from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

If you MUST use Dark Side, Brain Damage is the one.

Shine On Crazy Diamond and Run Like Hell showcase more elements of Floyd's entire range than any two I can think of off the top o' me head.

The problem with Shine On You Crazy Diamond is that it's 11 minutes long, which might harsh her CD's mellow.

Try "Free Four." Lesser-known (to those who don't subscribe to Sirius *ahem*) but good stuff.

i ended up using brain damage, and the other song i picked was have a cigar cos that's one of my favorites from wish you were here.... unfortunately i'm only familiar with the wall, dsotm, wish you were here, ummagumma, atom heart mother, and slightly with the division bell... i have all of them or access to all of them, but i'm so lost as to where to start getting into the rest. lol! someone needs to make a mix of those for me >_<

oh my gosh... if it could have fit and if i thought her attention span could handle it... i would have totally put the atom heart mother suite on there. that's one of my favorites of theirs... but it's 23 mins long.

ash r said:
i ended up using brain damage, and the other song i picked was have a cigar cos that's one of my favorites from wish you were here.... unfortunately i'm only familiar with the wall, dsotm, wish you were here, ummagumma, atom heart mother, and slightly with the division bell... i have all of them or access to all of them, but i'm so lost as to where to start getting into the rest. lol! someone needs to make a mix of those for me >_<

oh my gosh... if it could have fit and if i thought her attention span could handle it... i would have totally put the atom heart mother suite on there. that's one of my favorites of theirs... but it's 23 mins long.

Hmm...

It's easiest to view them in chronological order. If you don't know an album, you can look at the ones before and after it, and get an idea of what it sounds like.

Check out The Final Cut - it's a slower, darker version of The Wall.

Back