A workaround, maybe?

catocom

Here's the problem....
I need to run 'remote desktop', and ftp, from a server.
The connection is Hughes satellite (s-dsl).
The modem has built-in routing.
We use a linksys router. (wired/wireless)
The modem assigns the ip to the router of 192.168.0.4.
I need the router ip to be what the ip is, when like going
to http://whatismyipaddress.com/
The sat co., said they couldn't turn off the dhcp for
the modem/router.

So, the question:
Is there a way to set the Linksys router to somehow,
bypass the sat-modem/router, to get the right ip, so
it can serve?

What you need to do is set port-forwarding within the router so it can redirect the incoming traffic from a given port to the proper server. DMZ (demilitarized zone) is the equivalent to forward all traffic to a certain machine.

Yeah, I got it on DMZ.
That works with the cable, but not the sat.
The cable modem will assign the right ip for the router,
but the sat-modem assigns a local ip.
The local server is set with a (local range) static ip. (as are all the workstations)

The sat modem is also a nat router right? You need to configure it so it can forward it to the linksys router.

There's no need to set the linksys router to the external IP as long as the port-forwarding is being done right.

:nerd:

Luis G said:
The sat modem is also a nat router right? You need to configure it so it can forward it to the linksys router.

There's no need to set the linksys router to the external IP as long as the port-forwarding is being done right.
Luis, that's the problem....
I can't change any settings on the sat modem/router, and Hughes-sat,
said they couldn't be changed.:shrug:

Plug the computer directly to the modem, disable all software firewalls, and go to https://www.grc.com/port_2300.htm and hit the test port (or change the port accordingly), is it in stealth state?

If so, there's no practical solution (tunneling would be silly).

hmm....
I'll try that when I get back down there. Maybe tomorrow.
I'm guessing that wit probably is stealth though.

If it is, they lied to me. They said I could serve with it, and that's
why I got the static ip for an extra $20/mo.:grumpy:

well, I'm thinking, I'm going to try different ip settings first.
Charter lets the router use x.x.1.x, and the sat assigns x.x.0.x addresses.
So, I'm going to try first to get all the addresses to work with the sat, then
set the linksys to work with them, with the cable.:shrug:

Acts as a local router providing:
- Static and dynamic addressing
- DHCP server or relay
- DNS caching
- Full RIPV2 routing support
- Multicasts to the LAN by using IGMP
- NAT/PAT
- VLAN tagging
- Firewall support through integrated access control lists

If the modem assigns the linksys router the IP 192.168.0.4, I would suggest that you plug your computer directly to the modem and try to enter 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254 or the IP that appears in connection detail as "default gateway", this *should* get you to the modem settings page so you can do port-forwarding or DMZ to the linksys router.

I'd also recommend that you change the IP range that the linksys assings to 10.10.10.0 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, so you can reach each net without a NAT over NAT problem.

I would see if you can get Hughes to change the mode of the modem/router. Instead of NAT/router mode, change it to Bridge mode. That way the Linksys will get the public IP.

What's the model number of the sat-modem/router? EDIT: I see you already posted it :p

rrfield said:
I would see if you can get Hughes to change the mode of the modem/router. Instead of NAT/router mode, change it to Bridge mode. That way the Linksys will get the public IP.

What's the model number of the sat-modem/router? EDIT: I see you already posted it :p
Hughes phone support is useless.
They told me on the first call, that they couldn't change anything.:confused:

The modem is the DW7000.
I can get to the modem settings pages, but there's no option to change anything.
That's why I'm trying to 'workaround'.

catocom said:
That's what I don't know. (and is what I was wondering)
I haven't dealt much with proxies.:confused:
How would I do it?
I'm pretty sure you can. Depends on the server how you set it up but if I were you I'd set it up on the web server you already use. I generally use free ones (the whole cheap bastard thing, y'know) but then I only use it to remote into relative's computers in MD and NJ. What I do is set up a shortcut to the proxy on each machine. When they need my help I have them log in to it and then I do and voila, remote desktop. you have to let it through your firewall, but everything happens on port 80 so it isn't a problem.

Back