ADSL internal modem?

It does exist, I've seen PCI versions of em. Couldn't tell you where now though.

I'm certain that they exist, just like cable modems.
Are you going ADSL? :headbang:

Anyway, i'd recommend the external modem and a NIC, please, don't use them through the USB.

Luis G said:

Anyway, i'd recommend the external modem and a NIC, please, don't use them through the USB.

I second that. My friend has a few of the PCI ADSL modems. They're very picky. They also made internal cable modems for awhile. There just isn't a reason to go internal with the things, even for single-system customers. I'd imagine the demand for them was nil, and thus, the rareity of them today.

Luis G said:
Unfortunately not. The office I work for bought ADSL. My boss asked if there was such a thing. I said I was pretty sure it didn't in Brazil, but was curious to see if they exist somewhere and if they don't why not. I'm not prepared for the extra cost of ADSL right now, and will not adopt it unless I'm 100% sure to find a way to prevent thunderstrike damage. I lost 3 conventional modems by elctrical discharges last year and I'm not willing to lose a lot of money for an expensive modem. Sucks that my home is end of line for the electrical network... :(

The surge protector my computer's plugged into has phone jacks on it too, so it'll protect the phone line as well. So I have a line running from the phone jack to the surge protector, and on to the DSL modem.

Well, I've never had a modem get zapped, so I dunno. The thing's never tripped either, so maybe it's not gotten enough of a surge to be of use.

AlladinSane said:
I was told such devices were useless...

Thats what I've heard too. Never had it happen myself, but I've seen damage done by lightning. The surge protector melted and did nothing. I've heard that they work well for protecting against good-sized surges in the power, but nothing will stop the thousands of amps in a lightning strike. It just melts the strip together and doesn't give the fuse time to blow. The only protection against lighting strikes is to completely unplug. When I worked at camp, thats what we did nearly every night to our lab. Direct strikes happened too often to put any level of trust in surge suppressors.

Some do work. Price/quality is usually a good indicator. A cheap way to protect equipment is to tie a few knots in your line. No shit, this is really supposed to help. Not against the total voltage, but to help ease the spike curve.

Professur said:
Some do work. Price/quality is usually a good indicator. A cheap way to protect equipment is to tie a few knots in your line. No shit, this is really supposed to help. Not against the total voltage, but to help ease the spike curve.

Wow....thats interesting. For lightning or all spikes?

Supposed to be for all spikes. We're not talking big surge supression, here. Just taking a little off the leading edge, where most of the damage comes from. Lightning strikes are (supposedly) tricked into burning out the wire where it loops before they can seriously damage equipment.

It could be an old wives tale, but I've heard it from several sources who should know. Besides, it's cheap insurance. All my cables are knotted. Even the ones going to the UPS.

I used to have them knotted, not anymore.

I've only seen one burnt modem due a lightning, and it also cooked the serial port and some other components of the mobo.

In my experience, most people that get their modems screwed up have shitty el cheapo modems, nothing related to lightnings.

Luis G said:
In my experience, most people that get their modems screwed up have shitty el cheapo modems, nothing related to lightnings.

Yeah, I can agree with you there. :)

Back