Afterlife

Professur

I was over at the old house, digging through some old harware and I found an old friend. Afterlife. Basically, Simcity for the dead. Great game. But, *wahhhhh* it's dos based and won't run under W2K. Bastards. Looks like I'm gonna have to power up on of the old W9X boxes.

I barely remember it. I had friends that played it, but never owned it myself. Can you give us a basic rundown?

i dont remember it very well but

you are god and have to decide who gets to heaven and who gets to hell. you have to build cities if i remember. and prevent overcrowing and such. i loved that game when I played it. kinda weird take on the Simcities games if I recall correctly

Well, I can type what the booklet has. Lemme see.

Starting the game.

When you first start the game, after you get through the LucasArts logo, and the opening operating room sequence, you will see a screen like this (see fig 1) that gives you a choice of what you want to do. If this is your first time playing Afterlife, unless you really likes that operating rooms sequence and want to select "Replay Cheesy Intro" you will probably want to click on "Start a new Game"..

That's .. Hang on. Better bit here.

Background on the Afterlife Universe
In Afterlife, the eternal Powers That Be (cosmic forces too vast for human comprehension) have appointed you Demiurge - a sort of local deity - of one Planet with its system of appropriate eternal rewards and punishments. Let's get one thing straight right now. THIS IS NOT EARTH. It's a Planet far, far away (but not so long, long ago) inhabited by intelligent, self-aware bipeds called EMBOs (Ethically Mature Biological Organisms), who by some strange coincidence have a culture that is very similar to ours (and therefore some similar ideas about heaven and hell), but it's all a coincidence. Nobody needs to feel upset if our view of what happens after death conflicts with theirs, because it's all fictional .... we made it up. And anyways, THIS IS NOT EARTH.
It's just the planet of the EMBOs. Thay have a variety of belief systems. And whatever they believe about the afterlife comes true after they die. (Basic Rule of the Afterlife #1 - Be Careful What You Ask For.) Each EMBO has a SOUL (Stuff of Unending Life) that will survive death and be subject to the tenets of it's belief system. These tenets are as follows.

NAAAists These believe in No Afterlife At All. Since NAAAists never show up in the afterlife, you really don't have to worry about them.

AAAAists These believe in Absolutely Always An Afterlife. All SOULs in the afterlife are AAAAists.

HAHAists These believe ...

Damn. This is harder than it looks.

It's basically simcity for the dead. You have to build and manage heaven and hell.

Back