Air force blows it big time!

markjs

Banned
OOPS!

MSNBC said:
Air Force official fired after 6 nukes fly over U.S.
B-52 bomber, accidentally armed with warheads, went over several states

Updated: 11:43 a.m. PT Sept 5, 2007
WASHINGTON - A B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across several states last week, prompting an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

Rep. Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, called the mishandling of the weapons “deeply disturbing” and said the committee would press the military for details. Rep. Edward J. Markey, a senior member of the Homeland Security committee, said it was “absolutely inexcusable.”

“Nothing like this has ever been reported before and we have been assured for decades that it was impossible,” said Markey, D-Mass., co-chair of the House task force on nonproliferation.

Source.

Since it's impossible to arm those without codes what's the big deal?

On the other hand, Gato, what are you training your people to do?

Big enough deal to fire a general, I just thought it was an interesting story, as long as nobody was hurt, it doesn't bother me none too much....

Firing the General was a PC move. Gotta look like they're doing something.

Since it's impossible to arm those without codes what's the big deal?

On the other hand, Gato, what are you training your people to do?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've got the originator on ignore.

I believe the actually issue isn't that nukes were flown over the US. I'm sure that's done all the time. The real issue is ... they weren't supposed to be on that plane at all. So .. who released them from storage so that they could be attached to the plane in the first place.

They were supposed to be onboard...kind of.

The plane was carrying Advanced Cruise Missiles from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., on Aug. 30, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of a Defense Department policy not to confirm information on nuclear weapons.

The missiles, which are being decommissioned, were mounted onto pylons on the bomber’s wings and it is unclear why the warheads had not been removed beforehand. Earlier, the Associated Press erroneously reported the bomber was armed with only five warheads.

Firing the General was a PC move. Gotta look like they're doing something.

What that's called is a major safety violation. Firing the General was by the book. The Wing Commander is responsible for everything that happens while they are the Wing Commander. While its not his job to check every aircraft leaving his base, or to ensure that warheads are removed from missiles, those who are under his command are...in other words, the commander is responsible for the actions of his crew.

As for the missiles themselves, the person who spoke 'on condition of anonymity' is a coward. If he/she knew of the incident, then he/she is also responsible for the snafu.

Gato, Who is responsible for the day in and day out security of the nuclear armaments? Is it the standard security forces, or are there special teams composed of units detached from normal security and trained up only to deal with silos, munitions areas, and whatnot?

The defender of freedom:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VFOnJ2JC8Mg

b5202.jpg

Y'know... my local beauty supply store puts shoplifting tags on 5$ of hair detangler. I don't know why they didn't have them on these warheads in some fashion as a little 'beep beep' shoplift warning... or something,,, anything. There should have been some kind of passive system beyond simple Airmen First Class just picking them off the shelf like a loaf of bread and hoping they read the tag right.

I know I'm oversimplifying... but about 4 layers of checks and balances went right down the toilet because everyone was eye-glazed bored and just punching the clock.

I know I'm oversimplifying... but about 4 layers of checks and balances went right down the toilet because everyone was eye-glazed bored and just punching the clock.

People wonder why drills are run on a regualr basis. When they're not, or when the senior officials aren't on top of things, peope get bored & stop paying attention. Think of your last drive to work. Did you notice that new sign? How about that new shop that opened up in the srip mall (is that where you work minkey)? Redundancy & familiarity are our enemy, more than an outside source. They'd notice an Russian Antonov An-124 landing & a crew looking around. But when you have 50 A400Ms doing touch & goes all afternoon, you become bored.

Perhaps 50 push-ups & a 18 mile run will wake these fellers up.

Nope. You were right on the money, but so was Gonz. Laziness and complacency are the hallmarks of bad discipline. That reflects on the officers in charge, the NCO's who did the training, and the individuals tasked to do the job.

Apparently the base had been in decline for quite a long time... getting poor marks left and right for performance. If they are bored with the nightlife in sunny old Minot, perhaps a little overseas duty in the gulf will lighten their spirits.

Back