Alive and well

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The double standard, that is. Please note the following two articles, both shameslessly lifted from tonguetied.us. The original sources are as always listed in the treatise.

A high school student in Alabama who said "I hate white people and I want to kill them all" over the school intercom will not be charged with a hate crime because he didn't mean what he said, according to WSFA-TV in Montgomery.

Just one day after he was recognized as an outstanding athlete, Demond Washington of Tallassee High School was suspended for the comment. He apologized for the quip, and said the joke was a regrettable mistake on his part. He said he didn't realize the intercom was on at the time.

Washington won't face any legal charges, though, because Tallassee Police and school officials say he didn't mean what he said, that he was just being immature.

Now, couple that with...

A high school student in Missouri who wanted to celebrate Southern culture at a school multicultural assembly by unfurling a Confederate flag was told that's not the sort of culture his school wants to celebrate and unceremoniously removed from the assembly, according to the Columbia Missourian.

Ryan Lanman and a friend at Hickman High School in Columbia, Mo. were kicked out of school for raising the flag during a presentation of the "Yellow Rose of Texas." He said he merely wanted to openly support a multicultural group that is under-represented and ignored in school.

Other students said the act was racist. Junior Taneka Jackson said the action "really hurt me, seriously hurt me" and that it was inappropriate at a multicultural assembly meant to celebrate different cultures. "It was a disrespect to everyone in there," she said.

God bless America.

"I didn't mean it when I said I wanted to kill all white people. Plus I didn't know the intercom was on. I deserve a break."

"We don't want our native cultural symbols at a multicultural function. That culture is not what multiculture is about."

I'll be at the Roost if anybody needs me.

A death threat gets overlooked. A piece of history gets ya thrown out of school.

Nope, no double standard here.

Hypocrites. The whole damn lot of the PC eggheads, nothing but hypocrites.

Back