Alzheimers sucks

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
One of my grandmothers has had it for quite a long time... longer than most people (at least, she was diagnosed much earlier than normal I guess).

We've been expecting for quite a while for her symptoms to get worse, but she had really been doing fairly good (if a bit nuts) for years.

Recently she slid downhill... rapidly. Doesn't look like she has too much time left.

I think the greatest scientific achievement will be when we can heal or treat almost all known illnesses. Greater than warp speed, greater than free energy. Who cares if you can go to the stars if you die of kidney failure when you get there?

I agree, and disagree. If we cure all disease, our planet will be overcrowded in a matter of years. However, I have not had the misfortune of having a relative with Altzeimers either.

The only comfort I can offer you is this. It is alot harder on the family than it is the patient. The patient rarely has any sense that there is anything wrong, especially towards the end. I realize this is little comfort when your grandmother has no idea who you are, but do try to remember, at least she isn't in constant pain, like so many of our elderly are.

My dad had it before he died. About 5 years worth of useless sitting. I always treated him as if it were similar to ALS. Imagine, having everyone treat you like an imbecile when it's purely physical. Though that is unlikey. Maybe that's why they go out &amp; get lost. :shrug:

Maybe the answer is in space. Many other things have been assisted by our travels from mother earth.

My condolences to you &amp; her.

Sorry man. I too had a relative with Alzheimer's and it was very painful at times, and sometimes it's hard to accept that they have a disease and that you shouldn't feel bad about it when they don't recognize you. :(

outside looking in said:
I think the greatest scientific achievement will be when we can heal or treat almost all known illnesses.

:headbang:

Sorry about your G'ma, dude. :(

Back