Am I the only American

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
who doesn't care for NASCAR? Or IRL?

Going fast & turning left is not my idea of an exciting day at the races. Grand Prix type events are more interesting.

As a kid, I raced MX, RM125 & 250's...that's racing :D

motocross.jpg

Yup....You're all alone...:D We all have our prefered venues. From 5 years old I spent every weekend at the local asphalt oval tracks. Its part of me. Always will be. There still is nothing better than the memories of A J Foyt mastering his dirt car or Jimmy Clark driving his Lotus in the rain....:D

The only races I've attended have been at a county race level. They are pretty exciting themselves, but I'm sure seeing the real deal in Indianapolis or elsewhere would be more exciting.

NASCAR has managed to make racing as competitive as is possible. They have done the fans a great justice in that. And they are reaping the rewards of their efforts. :wink2: F1, on the other hand, has an attitude that is working toward total boredom...IMO. Cart is a F1 wannabe but IRL is proving to be pretty exciting. Providing, of course, that Penske doesn't fuck it all up again....

Gonz said:

Going fast & turning left is not my idea of an exciting day at the races. Grand Prix type events are more interesting.

You're not alone. However, living in Hotlanta, I'm not really free to talk about my "disability".

I can imagine those would be considered "Fighting words" down there.

The main thrill for me to watch this sport is to see a crash. Yeah, I know that's demented, but other than that, there is no big thrill for me watching NASCAR. Since I am from Bawston, it is probably somewhat undrstandable since the closes track is up in Loudon New Hampshire, and it isn't worth traveling up there.

Gonz said:
I'm with you Gonz. Nascar is boring, the best indy car drivers are in CART, but what I really love is motorcycle road racing. The next best thing to my first sexual experience was the first time my knee puck touched the pavement at triple digit speeds. Moto GP 250 and any stock-based 600 series are the most exciting. You can generally throw a blanket over the first 3 to 5 places at any point during the race. Have to agree with Prof and Squiggy re F-1, although this year is a little more interesting. World Rally is a lot of fun though. I watched one race in February from Sweden. You can guess what that was like.:D

well, speak of the devil, I was just speaking on this topic with someone last night :D

I can watch all of it, the funnest to me to watch is really the offroad rallies, cause it just all looks so funny, but I think to be in an audience live, I could watch any of it and have a lot of fun.

I take my boys to the Monster Truck shows at the SkyDome every year, they have a blast! :headbang:

f1 has improved a lot this year but i can't watch nascar without getting dizzy and sleepy. been to a load of off-road meets as a photographer and enjoy wrc as easily the best of an increasingly boring bunch.

Re: Re: Am I the only American

HomeLAN said:
Gonz said:

You're not alone. However, living in Hotlanta, I'm not really free to talk about my "disability".
I'll speak of it then. I hate NASCAR.

i used to watch a lot of NASCAR, but that was some time ago when there wasn't a lot of choices if you liked auto racing.
i'll watch just about any type of racing on a road course. GT, trans am, bikes, semi's, NASCAR.
i've become quite the fan of WRC over the past few years.

I like ALL forms of motor racing...
for up close and personal there is nothing better than a local race track on a saturday night...:headbang:

...... emmmm I can smell the VP Racing Fuel now........:cool:

Now high speed motorcycles ... thats something different entirely. I've nothing against Le Mans or Cote' d'Azure in Monaco either. I just can't stand NASCAR.

Kruz said:
...... emmmm I can smell the VP Racing Fuel now........
We used to run that in the bikes, too. VP and racing castor for the two strokes. To this day, the smell of VP and burnt castor speeds up my heartbeat 20% easily.

12:00 pm MOTOGP 250 South Africa
1:00 pm MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP South Africa
2:00 pm FIM WORLD SUPERBIKE Sugo, Japan - Race 1
3:00 pm FIM WORLD SUPERBIKE Sugo, Japan - Race 2
Sunday, in case anyone is interested (besides me:D)

Banger racing... if you must go round in circles, it's much more entertaining than Nascar.... especially distruction derby... I would so love to have a go. :D

Find yourself an empty field... preferably muddy, and build a dirt circuit. Get together lots of good old boys in a motley assortment of souped up old cars, minus lights, windows, etc. plus anything else that can cause injury, strengthened with a roll cage inside and painted in garrish colours with names like "Devils Crew" or "Yellow Perils" on the side.

Line em up in heats and let them battle it out for a place in the final, dirty tricks like shunting you opponant off the circuit allowed. Anything left moving at the end of the day gets to take part in the destruction derby, where anything goes and the last car still moving is the winner. Arrange transport to the local scrap yard for the results. :D

Back