American History Quiz

I scored a 78. It's been a while since I sat down and read a history book strictly about the US, though...

Holy crap.. I only missed the one about Woodrow Wilson. I got 96%. I answered the ones that I knew outright (a little over half) and then directly chose the most whacked out response available for the rest... and it paid off well.

unclehobart said:
Holy crap.. I only missed the one about Woodrow Wilson. I got 96%. I answered the ones that I knew outright (a little over half) and then directly chose the most whacked out response available for the rest... and it paid off well.

If I would have figured that out I would have scored higher than 78 (wonder if Gato and I missed the same ones ;) ). You sly dog...

I'd like to see how the Canadians do. Seeing as we've be told how unfair it is that they have to learn about our country and we don't have to learn about theirs. :D

70%

1. The first black baseball player in the Major Leagues was Jackie Robinson.

Answer: False

Sorry - you were not correct.

Robinson was the first in the 20th century. Blacks played major league baseball in the nineteenth century a protest by the president of the Chicago White Sox led to the Baltimore Orioles expelling the last, their third baseman, in about 1889.
  2. Ponce de Leon went to Florida to seek the mythical fountain of youth.

He sought to enslave Florida Indians for forced labor on Hispaniola.
  3. George Wallace was considered racist for saying, "I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is a physical difference between the two which . . . will probably forever forbid their living together, . . . and I am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."

You were correct!

Abraham Lincoln said this, while debating Stephen A. Douglas in 1858.
  4. White Americans forced roaming Indians to settle down and farm.

White intruders repeatedly burned Indian corn fields, chopped down orchards, and forced them to take to the woods and become nomadic. Luckily, Europeans did bring horses to the Americas, which made the life easier.
  5. Who Said the Following Quotation: "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

Answer: Abraham Lincoln

6. Who Said the Following Quotation: "It is above all to be remembered that the war did not originate with the North, but with the South. The North finds itself on the defensive."

Answer: Karl Marx

You were correct!
  7. Who Said the Following Quotation: "Let us begin by committing ourselves to the truth, to see it like it is and to tell it like it is, to find the truth, to speak the truth and live with the truth."

Answer: Richard Nixon

You were correct!
  8. Who were the first non-Native settlers in what is now the United States?

Answer: Africans

You were correct!

Escaped African slaves of a failed Spanish colony in what is now South Carolina; 1526.
  9. Who were the first "pilgrims" (escaping religious persecution in Europe) in what is now the United States?

Answer: Jews

You were correct!

Spanish Jews, fleeing the Inquisition, who settled in New Mexico in the late 1500s.
  10. When was the term "Pilgrims" first used for the early British settlers of Massachusetts?

Answer: 1800s

You were correct!

In the 1870s.
  11. What was the population of the Americas in 1492?

Answer: 100 million

12. What percentage of the Native Americans of coastal New England was killed by a disease transmitted by Europeans and Africans three years before the Pilgrims landed?

Answer: 75-100%

You were correct!

In fact the percentages are as high as 90 to 96%.
  13. Which of these wars cost the most American lives in combat, as a proportion of the total population?

Answer: King Phillip's War

You were correct!
  14. Which war cost the most lives in total numbers?

15. Which war gets the least coverage in American history textbooks?

You were correct!
  16. What western hemisphere people were quick to aid George Washington's forces in the American Revolution?

Answer: Haitians

You were correct!

The Haitians. And what thanks do they get? A few years later Washington loaned hundreds of thousands of dollars to French planters to help them suppress the Haitians.
  17. Who segregated the federal government?

Answer: Woodrow Wilson in 1913

You were correct!
  18. Woodrow Wilson sent American troops into which of the following countries?

Answer: All of the Above

You were correct!
  19. Which one statement about Christopher Columbus is true?

Answer: He and his men massacred and enslaved the Caribbean Indians.

You were correct!
  20. For how many years did the Norse visit North America?

Answer: 350

You were correct!

They exported lumber from Labrador for 350 years.
  21. Which of these Americans could be considered a communist?

Answer: Helen Keller

You were correct!

After the Russian Revolution, Keller exulted, "In the East a new star is risen! With pain and anguish the old order has given birth to the new, and behold in the East a man-child is born! Onward, comrades, all together! Onward to the campfires of Russia! Onward to the coming dawn!"
  22. Why did the Wilson Administration prosecute Robert Goldstein (and get him ten years in prison)?

Answer: For making a movie making the British look bad

You were correct!

For making a movie, The Spirit of '76, that depicted the British unfavorably. (Britain was our ally during World War I, of course.)
  23. How did Squanto learn English?

Answer: As a slave in England

Sorry - you were not correct. In England. He was captured and enslaved across the Atlantic once, perhaps twice, and spent years in England.
You scored 16 out of 23 (70 %).

52%

pretty go0od considering my history classes where Quebec history (yes, it is diffrent than the rest of canada)

Back