Animals in the news.

Professur

A new thread to post animal related news stories.

Cat blamed for Idaho blackout

Tue Jan 8, 4:52 PM ET

NAMPA, Idaho - A cat picked the wrong place to come in from the cold, and caused a power outage that blacked out more than 12,000 homes and businesses. The cat entered an electrical substation, snuggled up to a warm transformer and contacted a live circuit, causing a short that blew out nine feeder lines Monday afternoon, Idaho Power officials said.

Service was restored in less than three hours to most customers, including City Hall where the lights came on in time for a City Council meeting, utility spokesman Dennis Lopez said.

The outage also disabled traffic lights in the city of about 77,000 people. Temporary stop signs were set up at affected intersections and about 15 police officers were assigned to direct and monitor traffic. Police Lt. Eric Skoglund said he didn't know of any accidents that could be blamed on the outage.

The short circuit killed the cat.

Source

Bird dog steps on gun, kills hunter in accident

Tue Jan 8, 7:48 PM ET

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Houston-area man was killed in a hunting accident after his dog stepped on a loaded shotgun in the back of a pick-up truck, triggering a blast that pierced the vehicle and the hunter's leg, a local sheriff said.

Perry Price, a 46-year-old math teacher, shot a goose on Saturday then put his gun in the back of the truck where the dog was waiting to retrieve the bird.

"I've been in law enforcement 20 years and this is probably the strangest one I've had," said Chambers County Sheriff Joe LaRive.

Investigators found paw prints and mud from the dog, a chocolate Labrador retriever named Arthur, on the shotgun, LaRive said.

Price was taken to a local hospital, but died from a loss of blood after doctors were unable to revive him.

Source

a short that blew out nine feeder lines

Used 'em, all up in one shot.

Will the dog get put to sleep for murder or just jailed for manslaughter?

A Houston-area man was killed in a hunting accident after his dog stepped on a loaded shotgun in the back of a pick-up truck

Darwinism. Should have known better than to transport a loaded firearm. The herd is thinned.

Investigators found paw prints and mud from the dog, a chocolate Labrador retriever named Arthur, on the shotgun, LaRive said.

So the prints were a conclusive match? Did they compare the prints to other known dogs in the FBI database? Did Arthur confess? Was the mud sent to the crime lab for comparative tests to ensure it was consistent with mud from that field? What about DNA evidence?

All I keep thinking is .... at the last, this guy had to be praying there wasn't a heaven. Can you imagine the introductions at a party?

"Sally, I'd like you to meet Perry. Sally here died from a brain tumour. Perry, why don't you go ahead and tell Sally about how you died will I get you some drinks."

Clumsy? The dog sent the shot thru the truck first. Helluva shot in my estimation.

Sure was. The target bled out and didn't even make 5 yards from where he was shot. Enviable.

Speaking of cat-induced blackouts...

1:09 p.m.: PG&E expects to restore power to about 27,700 customers in the Fresno area by about 1:30 p.m. today, spokesman Jeff Smith said.
The outage was caused when a cat crawled into PG&E's substation near Ashlan and West avenues, got on top of a piece of equipment "and didn't make it," Smith said.
The outage is bounded generally by Herndon, Blackstone and Bethel avenues and the downtown area, Smith said.

The Fresno Bee

Back