annoying high pitch squeal

tonksy

so there is this power supply back up thing that is connect to my...uh...roommates computer (who is not home) and all of a sudden it starts squealing mega loud...i pushed the test button, checked that everything was plugged in correctly, thought about hitting it...eventually the noise became too much and i had to turn it off - which turned off the computer...it was really loud...so what does this mean? nopbody touched it, the kids were outside and no animals in site...it just went off...what do i do?

Professur

Seriously, try plugging something else into the socket it was in. Odds are there's a blown breaker at the main. The squeal was the battery (AKA UPS) telling you that it was running on battery power and to do something.

tonksy

Professur said:
Seriously, try plugging something else into the socket it was in. Odds are there's a blown breaker at the main. The squeal was the battery (AKA UPS) telling you that it was running on battery power and to do something.
christ, i don't mess with electricity. computer stays off until he gets home....thanks prof.

HomeLAN

Yep, either the UPS (the squealing thing) is blown, or the outlet isn't doing its thing. Gonna have to plug the UPS into a different outlet to find out for sure.

tonksy

well, thanks for confirming to me that i wasn't somehow responsible. i shall direct him to this thread. :)

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Easier to just plug a lamp into the free socket where the UPS is plugged, no?

If the outlet is dead, yes. If the outlet is throwing unstable voltages for some reason, no.

However, I suspect the UPS. The roommate in question has been known to kill computer equipment by looking at it from across the room.

tonksy

so i was gonna try the lamp thing and thats when i realized that it wasn't plugged into the socket i thought...it was attached to the socket the was covered by a cat...a cat who had pulled the cord od of the wall in one of his lazy stretches...dammit.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
If the outlet is dead, yes. If the outlet is throwing unstable voltages for some reason, no.

However, I suspect the UPS. The roommate in question has been known to kill computer equipment by looking at it from across the room.
steve? call me right now because i think this thing is totally fucked!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...um...please?

A.B.Normal

tonksy said:
so i was gonna try the lamp thing and thats when i realized that it wasn't plugged into the socket i thought...it was attached to the socket the was covered by a cat...a cat who had pulled the cord od of the wall in one of his lazy stretches...dammit.

Cat
{remembering the cat from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation}

:glasses3:

A.B.Normal

Depending on how long it was unplugged the internal battery backup may have rundown,the sound you were hearing was the warning indicator to let you know the backup capabilty was about to fail. Plugging the UPS back in should allow it to re-charge .I recommend leaving everything plugged into the UPS turned off or unplugging everything that way it can recharge without having to perform its duties.

tonksy

okay...it's working...i rebooted and rebooted and rebooted....just had to be talked into it. thanks everyone.