Another laughably specious racism accusation

jimpeel

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311894,00.html

Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner

LAKEPORT, Calif. — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

<more>

So he merely went there at 4AM to buy marijuana and the baseball bat just happened to jump up and beat this kid into a life in a rehab institution.

If they'd not been breaking the law, nobody would have been shot. Works for me, whatever the race.

Ayup. Stay home and stay out of trouble and you likely won't find yourself in a mess like this.

Naturally occurring consequences to chosen behavior again. You choose to break into a house. You choose to beat another person with a ball bat. Then you wonder why you get yourself shot. Or in this case, your buddies get shot, and you survive. Guess what, Champ? If you'd been home in bed nailing some little piece of tail at 4AM, you wouldn't be in this predicament, would you?

But don't sweat it too much. Jesse, Al and the boyz will be along shortly to make everyone feel bad about what happened to your innocent self. You might even get a college scholarship, if you can learn how to pole dance.

Isn't it a law (in most states anyway) that if someone dies during the commission of a felony all members of the group committing the felony are liable for murder? Even if it's one of their group as I've always understood it. Read that somewhere when I was a kid but I could have it wrong.

Isn't it a law (in most states anyway) that if someone dies during the commission of a felony all members of the group committing the felony are liable for murder? Even if it's one of their group as I've always understood it. Read that somewhere when I was a kid but I could have it wrong.

That was my understanding as well

Not sure if it's a law in all states or not. I'm reasonably certain that if it isn't the law, that it's at the very least considered an aggravating factor for purposes of bumping the charge up or for increased time at sentencing.

The homeowner should be charged with reckless endangerment for not killing the third man when he had the chance. The guy is surely going to walk and be a predator on someone else. Also, the state is going to face a million-dollar uphill legal battle ala Rodney King.

I thought it was virtually the law of the land but apparently it is not the law in some states. Here is what lexis-nexis says in their law outlines.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/study/outlines/html/crim/crim24.htm

§ 24.03 Felony-Murder

[A] Common Law – At common law, a person is guilty of murder if he kills another person during the commission or attempted commission of any felony. Nearly every state retains the felony-murder rule.

Statutory Law – Under most modern murder statutes, a death that results from the commission of an enumerated felony (usually a dangerous felony, such as arson, rape, robbery, or burglary) constitutes first-degree murder for which the maximum penalty is death or life imprisonment. If a death results from the commission of an unspecified felony, it is second-degree murder. The felony-murder rule authorizes strict liability for a death that results from commission of a felony.

[C] Model Penal Code – The Code also provides for felony-murder by setting forth that extreme recklessness (and, thus, murder) is presumed if the homicide occurs while the defendant is engaged in, or is an accomplice in, the commission, attempted commission, or flight from one of the dangerous felonies specified in the statute. [MPC § 210.2(1)(b)]

§ 24.04 Limits on the Felony-Murder Rule

[A] Inherently-Dangerous-Felony Limitation – Many states limit the rule to homicides that occur during the commission of felonies which by their nature are dangerous to human life, e.g., armed robbery.

Independent Felony (or Merger) Limitation – Most states recognize some form of "independent felony" or "collateral felony" limitation. That is, the felony-murder rule only applies if the predicate felony is independent of, or collateral to, the homicide. If the felony is not independent, then the felony merges with the homicide and cannot serve as the basis for a felony-murder conviction. For example, most jurisdictions hold that felonious assault may not serve as the basis for felony-murder.

[C] Res Gestae Requirement – A requirement of the felony-murder rule is that the homicide must occur "within the res gestae [things done to commit] of the felony," which requires both:

1.) temporal and geographical proximity – There must be a close proximity in terms of time and distance between the felony and the homicide. The res gestae period begins when the defendant has reached the point at which he could be prosecuted for an attempt to commit the felony, and it continues at least until all of the elements of the crime are completed. Most courts provide that the res gestae of a felony continues, even after commission of the crime, until the felon reaches a place of temporary safety.
2.) A causal relationship between the felony and the homicide.

[D] Killing by a Non-Felon

[1] The "Agency" Approach – A majority of states that have considered the issue apply the so-called "agency" theory of felony murder, which precludes any killing committed during the commission of the felon by a person other that the defendant or his accomplices from serving as the basis for felony-murder. However, a killing by an accomplice can be imputed to others involved in the commission of the felony so that felony-murder can be charged against the non-killers.

[2] "Proximate Causation" Approach – A minority of courts apply the "proximate causation" theory of felony-murder under which a felon is liable for any death proximately resulting from the felony, whether the killer is a felon or a third party.

[3] "Provocative Act" Doctrine – A felon may be held responsible for the death of another at the hands of a third party, if the basis for the charge is not felony-murder, but instead is founded on what is sometimes termed the "provocative act" doctrine, which is simply a form of reckless homicide, e.g., a felon recklessly provokes a victim to shoot in self-defense, killing an innocent bystander.

Back