Anti firearms hack Bloomberg gets shot down by federal judge

jimpeel

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=243

FEDERAL COURT IN GEORGIA BLOCKS BLOOMBERG BID TO MOVE LAWSUIT

BELLEVUE, WA – A federal district court in Georgia has denied a request by attorneys for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to transfer a lawsuit filed against the mayor and others by Adventure Outdoors, a Georgia retailer, to a federal court in New York State.

That lawsuit, supported by the Second Amendment Foundation, names as defendants Mayor Bloomberg, the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York, the city’s Criminal Justice Coordinator and police superintendent, and a private investigation company that was hired to conduct so-called “sting” operations against Adventure Outdoors and several other gun shops in at least five states. The lawsuit was filed in 2006 in federal court in Georgia, with former Congressman Bob Barr and Jasper, GA attorney Ed Marger representing Adventure Outdoors.

In a move that surprised the defendants, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia denied their attempts to have the case either moved, or dismissed. The lawsuit against Bloomberg and his co-defendants involves allegations of libel, slander and tortuous interference with business relations.

“We are pleased that the case Adventure Outdoors has filed against Mayor Bloomberg and others will remain before a federal district court here in Georgia, governed by Georgia law, and to be heard by a Georgia jury,” Barr stated.

“We are delighted with the court’s decision,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “While the Justice Department declined to prosecute Bloomberg and his minions for their vigilante operation in 2006, the federal district court in Georgia appears determined to hold them accountable, in a venue where the rogue activities occurred.

“Big Apple billionaires might think they are above the law, or at least beyond its reach” Gottlieb said, “but they aren’t. Crossing state lines to engage in the kind of activities alleged in this lawsuit should have repercussions. SAF has supported this case because it is the right thing to do, and because Bloomberg and others like him need to be discouraged from doing this sort of thing again.”

How the hell is Bloomberg in charrge of anything?

Bloomberg ran a "sting" operation wherein he sent a "taskforce" out to buy firearms from out of state firearms dealers. The very nature of the tsak was illegal and Bloomberg was admonished by the Justice Department and told that if he persisted with this folly he, and the members of his "taskforce" would be charged with a federal crime.

Bloomberg is also the ringleader of the “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” coalition which several mayors have quit in disgust with Bloomberg's tactics.

More on this lawsuit by Adventure Outdoors:

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=216

SAF SUPPORTS ADVENTURE OUTDOORS BATTLE AGAINST BLOOMBERG

3/20/2007

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today confirmed that it is providing financial support to Adventure Outdoors of Smyrna, Georgia in a lawsuit against New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other New York defendants for attempting to ensnare and defame the store in Bloomberg’s infamous 2006 gun shop “sting.”

SAF’s support was requested by attorney and former Georgia Congressman Bob Barr, now working at the Jasper, Georgia law offices of Edwin Marger, which represents Adventure Outdoors. SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb said the foundation has sent a check to Marger, and promised to help bring public attention to the case.

“Bloomberg’s notorious enterprise against Adventure Outdoors and other gun retailers was, and remains, an outrage,” Gottlieb stated.

Adventure Outdoors was targeted by Bloomberg’s vigilante “sting” operation last year. In addition to suing Bloomberg, the company has filed a motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit filed by Bloomberg against the gun shop. Adventure Outdoors is one of several retail firearms dealers targeted by Bloomberg’s rogue operation. That multi-state “sting” has come under the scrutiny of the Department of Justice and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Justice Department has declined to file criminal charges against any of the gun dealers targeted by Bloomberg, and has advised Bloomberg’s office that it could face “potential legal liabilities” if such sting operations continue. Earlier this year, W. Larry Ford, Assistant ATF Director for Public and Governmental Affairs, confirmed to SAF that the agency “is investigating the matter [Bloomberg’s stings] in order to determine if violations of federal firearms laws occurred.”

“Mayor Bloomberg and his henchmen had no legal authority to conduct their questionable operation,” Gottlieb noted. “These civil lawsuits amount to harassment through the courts. It’s an egregious abuse of perceived power by Bloomberg, and we’re only too happy to assist Bob Barr and his colleagues in an effort to stop Bloomberg’s demagoguery.”

Bloomberg's "sting" operation:

http://saf.org/viewoe.asp?id=213

Bloom is off Bloomberg’s Vigilante Gun Shop Sting

By Alan Gottlieb

Almost from the outset, something smelled rotten about a “sting” mounted last year by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in an effort to target alleged rogue gun shops in five different states for selling guns illegally.

Bloomberg dispatched private investigators to conduct this vigilante operation, apparently neglecting to advise the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) what they were up to. These “investigators” had no law enforcement authority to engage in what may have been illegal “straw man” purchases to entrap some 15 different dealers.

The odor ripened when Bloomberg filed civil lawsuits against these gun shops, rather than turn over evidence to the proper authorities for criminal prosecution. Bloomberg’s office refused to turn over that evidence, and instead the billionaire mayor launched a high-profile media campaign demonizing the targeted gun shop operators.

When he announced the sting, and associated lawsuits, he took a cheap shot at ATF, declaring the agency asleep at the wheel.

And then Bloomberg, with the partnership of another anti-gun municipal politician, Boston Mayor Tom Menino, launched Mayors Against Illegal Guns. This coalition’s purpose was purportedly to campaign for laws that crack down on gun shops selling guns that found their way into criminal hands.

But now it turns out there is more than one fly in the ointment. Flies are attracted by foul odors. The anti-gun Joyce Foundation provided $175,000 to Bloomberg’s group. And recently, Anchorage, Alaska Mayor Mark Begich, Rio Rancho, New Mexico Mayor Kevin Jackson and Idaho Falls, Idaho Mayor Jared Fuhriman have bailed out. All essentially explained that – surprise of surprises – there is more to the coalition agenda than they had initially understood.

NOTE: Since this writing, Oldmans Township, NJ Mayor Harry Moore and Williamsport, PA Mayor Mary B. Wolf have also bowed out of Bloomberg's coalition. -- j

Begich, Jackson and Fuhriman wisely turned their backs on what amounts to a political lynch mob, out more for headline-grabbing junk lawsuits and legislation targeting everything from gun shows to types of firearms law-abiding citizens may own, claiming that eroding the rights of good people will somehow prevent crimes committed by bad people.

And now the Justice Department has essentially cooled Bloomberg’s jets. W. Larry Ford, ATF Director for Public and Governmental Affairs, revealed that the agency is investigating Bloomberg’s rogue sting operation “in order to determine if violations of federal firearms laws occurred.” Just days later, Michael Battle, director of the executive office for United States Attorneys at the Department of Justice, sent a letter warning Bloomberg’s administration that it could face “potential legal liabilities” if such sting operations continue. Battle also said the Justice Department will not be filing criminal charges against any of the 15 gun dealers targeted by Bloomberg’s 2006 lawsuits over alleged “straw man” purchases. Such operations lack “proper law enforcement authority,” Battle’s letter warned.

Though criminal charges may never be filed against Bloomberg or his agents provocateur in the gun shop sting, two shots have been fired across Bloomberg’s bow, and he really ought to lower his sails. Likewise, so should the more than 150 other mayors who were beguiled by headlines to join Bloomberg’s anti-gun crusade.

Going after suspected illegal gun dealers, especially outside of one’s jurisdiction, is not a job for mayors or private investigators they hire. That’s a job for the ATF and federal prosecutors. Bloomberg now stands cautioned that his antics are under scrutiny. Other mayors, lulled into joining with Bloomberg, might take this as a signal they need to reconsider that affiliation.

In politics, opportunities to change course and do something smart come along rarely, but opportunities to do something stupid come knocking every day. Bloomberg, and his contemporaries, have been handed a chance to wise up. Let’s see if they are smart enough to take the hint.

Alan Gottlieb is founder of the Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) and chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (www.ccrkba.org).

I think it was all just a showpiece op to bring attention to their cause and swing a few extra votes back home. I think they very well knew all along that what they were doing violated federal law and states rights.

How the hell is Bloomberg in charrge of anything?

Because of a little thing called the will of the people, or the assent of the governed. I'm not surprised you are unfamiliar with it.

Not to say he DESERVES to be in charge of anything mind you. New Yorkers obviously feel differently though, and since I ain't one it ain't no skin off'n my nose.

Bocephus said:
Just send me to Hell or New York City, It'd be about the same to me...

I know about the vote. Which is why I asked. Even NYers can't be THAT stupid.

Sounds along the same lines, kinda, as the OJ thing IMO.

Lock him up, let him make bail, and have his day in court.
It'll never happen. He has too much money.

yeah i'm about to go down to southern washington where my friend just bought a bunch of land and a lightly used mossberg 12ga with the ghost rings and all... the military version. he's never shot a gun. he got a bunch of birdshot and some buck from the guy that sold it to him. i'm gonna pick up some slugs on the way down there. it's gonna be funny to see his reactions to that first "boom!" also gonna be funny to watch him flinch on subsequent shots.

i'm still working on my girlfriend to not be upset about me having something in the house... i got rid of me peashooters when we shacked up. i'd lost interest in target shooting for the moment but i'm thinking i wanna get my chops back. not that i really think i need to have a 'heater' around, but just for funzies.

when she caves, one of these is coming home...

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=38&productid=88

oh yeah but of course i hate guns cuz i'm a pussy liberal.....

not that i really think i need to have a 'heater' around, but just for funzies

You do realize that in the PacNW, a .22 with bullets makes you a militia? A .44 makes you a threat & the only one available to save the rest.

yeah i'm about to go down to southern washington where my friend just bought a bunch of land and a lightly used mossberg 12ga with the ghost rings and all... the military version. he's never shot a gun. he got a bunch of birdshot and some buck from the guy that sold it to him. i'm gonna pick up some slugs on the way down there. it's gonna be funny to see his reactions to that first "boom!" also gonna be funny to watch him flinch on subsequent shots.

i'm still working on my girlfriend to not be upset about me having something in the house... i got rid of me peashooters when we shacked up. i'd lost interest in target shooting for the moment but i'm thinking i wanna get my chops back. not that i really think i need to have a 'heater' around, but just for funzies.

when she caves, one of these is coming home...

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=38&productid=88

oh yeah but of course i hate guns cuz i'm a pussy liberal.....

I'm partial to a compact for close work.

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=198

Back